Nov 12, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN this Friday night at 7:30 p.m. ET as Cornell takes on Harvard.
Did you know there’s only one unbeaten team left in the NCAA? Did you know they’re in the ECAC? Did you know it’s neither Union nor Cornell who were in the last season’s NCAA tournament? Let’s meet Dartmouth College.
The Big Green are off to a great start going 5-0-1 to start the year. Their lone blemish came thanks to a 2-2 tie against Yale in the Ivy Shootout. Since then they’ve won five straight games including a big win over Union on Saturday. How are they doing it? They’re getting huge performances in scoring and in goal from a pair of juniors.
Forward Eric Robinson already has seven goals to lead the team and tying him for first in the conference. Goaltender Cab Morris is putting up some huge numbers to start going 3-0-1 with a 1.22 goals against and a .946 save percentage and one shutout.
Add in great play from sophomore Tyler Sikura (four goals, 11 points) and Dartmouth is the early-season darling in college hockey. Coach Bob Gaudet has his team thinking big.
Games of the weekend: Leave it to Boston College to keep plowing right ahead no matter who they’re playing. They handled Notre Dame in a classic battle on Friday night beating the Fighting Irish 3-1 and followed that on Sunday with a 4-2 win over archrival Boston University.
Gaudreaubey Baker?: BC’s Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary) continues his red hot start scoring twice against Notre Dame and adding another against BU. Expect him in the mix for the Hobey Baker Award this year and expect to keep hearing more about Boston College all year. Haters are definitely going to hate.
Butters bolts Badgers: There’s never a dull moment in Wisconsin as assistant coach Bill Butters stepped down from his job to possibly rejoin his ministry in Minnesota. Mike Eaves will be looking to fill that position as soon as possible.
UConn’s Marshall takes leave: Connecticut coach Bruce Marshall took an indefinite medical leave of absence from the team. Best of luck to him on getting better. Assistant coach David Berard takes over for him on the interim.
Grosenick hurting: Union College’s win over Harvard on Friday came at a price as last season’s Hobey Baker finalist Troy Grosenick departed with a lower-body injury. Coach Rick Bennett hinted that it was an injured ankle, but Ken Schott of the Schenectady Gazette says he’ll be out three to four weeks with a leg injury.
(Photo: Dartmouth Hockey/Mark Washburn)
Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Retroactive to Oct. 21.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”
Oct 24, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
“Talks are open-ended.”
Oct 24, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Boston attempts to fill hole left by Chara.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
They’ll also have a tribute to Nathan Cirillo.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Chris Kelly calls him “irreplaceable.”
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Grim times for Carolina.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Bruins haven’t confirmed or denied the dire update.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Is “revenge” too strong of a word for it?
Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne wasn’t too shabby, either.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall made it happen.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Bad update for the Islanders.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Was it the big hit he landed on John Tavares?
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)