Nov 12, 2012, 8:50 PM EST
Adam Oates is a living example of why you shouldn’t give up on your dreams.
There was a time when no NHL team wanted him. By the time his playing career was done, only five NHLers had ever registered more assists than him.
Of course, Oates isn’t done with the NHL. On the same day that he was told that he would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Washington Capitals selected him as their head coach.
So on this night, Oates took the time to thank his former coaches: Mike Renzetti, Ken Gibb, Mike Addesa, and Paul Vincent.
“I want to know that I haven’t forgotten that you helped me,” Oates said, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Oates also thanked Brett Hull, who he spent three amazing seasons with as a member of the St. Louis Blues. With Oates, Hull managed to record back-to-back-to-back 70-plus goal seasons and Oates recorded 248 assists over that span.
“You put me on the map,” Oates said of Hull. “I can’t believe it was only three years because it felt like forever.”
Hull also praised Oates, saying “he’s one of the greatest players to play the game.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)