Nov 12, 2012, 8:50 PM EST
Adam Oates is a living example of why you shouldn’t give up on your dreams.
There was a time when no NHL team wanted him. By the time his playing career was done, only five NHLers had ever registered more assists than him.
Of course, Oates isn’t done with the NHL. On the same day that he was told that he would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Washington Capitals selected him as their head coach.
So on this night, Oates took the time to thank his former coaches: Mike Renzetti, Ken Gibb, Mike Addesa, and Paul Vincent.
“I want to know that I haven’t forgotten that you helped me,” Oates said, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Oates also thanked Brett Hull, who he spent three amazing seasons with as a member of the St. Louis Blues. With Oates, Hull managed to record back-to-back-to-back 70-plus goal seasons and Oates recorded 248 assists over that span.
“You put me on the map,” Oates said of Hull. “I can’t believe it was only three years because it felt like forever.”
Hull also praised Oates, saying “he’s one of the greatest players to play the game.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)