Nov 12, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
Adam Oates is a living example of why you shouldn’t give up on your dreams.
There was a time when no NHL team wanted him. By the time his playing career was done, only five NHLers had ever registered more assists than him.
Of course, Oates isn’t done with the NHL. On the same day that he was told that he would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Washington Capitals selected him as their head coach.
So on this night, Oates took the time to thank his former coaches: Mike Renzetti, Ken Gibb, Mike Addesa, and Paul Vincent.
“I want to know that I haven’t forgotten that you helped me,” Oates said, courtesy of the NHL.com.
Oates also thanked Brett Hull, who he spent three amazing seasons with as a member of the St. Louis Blues. With Oates, Hull managed to record back-to-back-to-back 70-plus goal seasons and Oates recorded 248 assists over that span.
“You put me on the map,” Oates said of Hull. “I can’t believe it was only three years because it felt like forever.”
Hull also praised Oates, saying “he’s one of the greatest players to play the game.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)