Nov 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Bobby Orr might have a few horses in the lockout race – he’s a powerful agent, after all – but it’s still worth hearing what he had to say to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
“They have to accept that responsibility to sit down and get a deal done,” Orr said. “Shame on them if they don’t do that.”
Orr doesn’t seem to back up the notion that the league will bounce back easily from a lost season.
“How could it not hurt us?” Orr said. “I mean, there are the owners and the players, but think about some of the other people. Even the Hall of Fame, they’re being hurt by this. You go to the buildings, the restaurants and so on, the shops around them – it’s more than just the players and the owners. There’s a lot of people hurt by this lockout.”
Even with some palpable bitterness in some of his quotes, Orr thinks last week’s run of meetings indicate that there’s a chance that action might pick up again around Dec. 1.
“I think this [week] is the longest they’ve met… and I feel better about what I’m hearing now than I have the last few months,” Orr said.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)