Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
He didn’t retire as a Toronto Maple Leafs player and he didn’t win a Stanley Cup, but that’s about all Mats Sundin didn’t accomplish for the team. The easiest way to assess his brilliance is to glance at the many team records he owns after 981 regular season and 77 playoff games.
Goals – 420 (second place: Darryl Sittler)
Points – 987 (Sittler second with 916)
Power-play goals – 124 (Sittler second with 120)
Shorthanded goals – 23 (Russ Courtnall, Greg Terrion and David Reid tied for second with 13)
Game-winning goals – 79 (Sittler second with 42)
(Sundin also holds the all-time marks for game-tying goals  and overtime tallies )
Assists – 567 (Borje Salming is in first with 620)
Plus/minus – +99 (Salming’s ahead with +155)
Shots – 3,104 (Sittler No. 1 with 3,142)
Sundin is tied for second all-time in goals with 32, tied for third in assists with 38, second in points with 70 and first overall in game-winners with seven.
Does that make him the best Leaf ever? One can only imagine the debates in Toronto bars and blogs, but either way, he’s made a Sundin-sized mark on the franchise record books.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)