Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
He didn’t retire as a Toronto Maple Leafs player and he didn’t win a Stanley Cup, but that’s about all Mats Sundin didn’t accomplish for the team. The easiest way to assess his brilliance is to glance at the many team records he owns after 981 regular season and 77 playoff games.
Goals – 420 (second place: Darryl Sittler)
Points – 987 (Sittler second with 916)
Power-play goals – 124 (Sittler second with 120)
Shorthanded goals – 23 (Russ Courtnall, Greg Terrion and David Reid tied for second with 13)
Game-winning goals – 79 (Sittler second with 42)
(Sundin also holds the all-time marks for game-tying goals  and overtime tallies )
Assists – 567 (Borje Salming is in first with 620)
Plus/minus - +99 (Salming’s ahead with +155)
Shots – 3,104 (Sittler No. 1 with 3,142)
Sundin is tied for second all-time in goals with 32, tied for third in assists with 38, second in points with 70 and first overall in game-winners with seven.
Does that make him the best Leaf ever? One can only imagine the debates in Toronto bars and blogs, but either way, he’s made a Sundin-sized mark on the franchise record books.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)