Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
He didn’t retire as a Toronto Maple Leafs player and he didn’t win a Stanley Cup, but that’s about all Mats Sundin didn’t accomplish for the team. The easiest way to assess his brilliance is to glance at the many team records he owns after 981 regular season and 77 playoff games.
Goals – 420 (second place: Darryl Sittler)
Points – 987 (Sittler second with 916)
Power-play goals – 124 (Sittler second with 120)
Shorthanded goals – 23 (Russ Courtnall, Greg Terrion and David Reid tied for second with 13)
Game-winning goals – 79 (Sittler second with 42)
(Sundin also holds the all-time marks for game-tying goals  and overtime tallies )
Assists – 567 (Borje Salming is in first with 620)
Plus/minus - +99 (Salming’s ahead with +155)
Shots – 3,104 (Sittler No. 1 with 3,142)
Sundin is tied for second all-time in goals with 32, tied for third in assists with 38, second in points with 70 and first overall in game-winners with seven.
Does that make him the best Leaf ever? One can only imagine the debates in Toronto bars and blogs, but either way, he’s made a Sundin-sized mark on the franchise record books.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)