Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
He didn’t retire as a Toronto Maple Leafs player and he didn’t win a Stanley Cup, but that’s about all Mats Sundin didn’t accomplish for the team. The easiest way to assess his brilliance is to glance at the many team records he owns after 981 regular season and 77 playoff games.
Goals – 420 (second place: Darryl Sittler)
Points – 987 (Sittler second with 916)
Power-play goals – 124 (Sittler second with 120)
Shorthanded goals – 23 (Russ Courtnall, Greg Terrion and David Reid tied for second with 13)
Game-winning goals – 79 (Sittler second with 42)
(Sundin also holds the all-time marks for game-tying goals  and overtime tallies )
Assists – 567 (Borje Salming is in first with 620)
Plus/minus - +99 (Salming’s ahead with +155)
Shots – 3,104 (Sittler No. 1 with 3,142)
Sundin is tied for second all-time in goals with 32, tied for third in assists with 38, second in points with 70 and first overall in game-winners with seven.
Does that make him the best Leaf ever? One can only imagine the debates in Toronto bars and blogs, but either way, he’s made a Sundin-sized mark on the franchise record books.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)