Nov 11, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
He didn’t retire as a Toronto Maple Leafs player and he didn’t win a Stanley Cup, but that’s about all Mats Sundin didn’t accomplish for the team. The easiest way to assess his brilliance is to glance at the many team records he owns after 981 regular season and 77 playoff games.
Goals – 420 (second place: Darryl Sittler)
Points – 987 (Sittler second with 916)
Power-play goals – 124 (Sittler second with 120)
Shorthanded goals – 23 (Russ Courtnall, Greg Terrion and David Reid tied for second with 13)
Game-winning goals – 79 (Sittler second with 42)
(Sundin also holds the all-time marks for game-tying goals  and overtime tallies )
Assists – 567 (Borje Salming is in first with 620)
Plus/minus - +99 (Salming’s ahead with +155)
Shots – 3,104 (Sittler No. 1 with 3,142)
Sundin is tied for second all-time in goals with 32, tied for third in assists with 38, second in points with 70 and first overall in game-winners with seven.
Does that make him the best Leaf ever? One can only imagine the debates in Toronto bars and blogs, but either way, he’s made a Sundin-sized mark on the franchise record books.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)