Nov 11, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
To little surprise, the two sides differ on their outlook regarding the specifics, though.
While Fehr implies that the NHL won’t budge at all – Fehr told Sportsnet’s Michael Grange that the leagues wants players to agree to their deal “to the comma” – Daly indicates to Grange that there’s at least some movement.
Daly said NHL did give on 14 of 17 issues -- things like minimum salaries; play off pool; waiver rules. Not make or break issues tho.—
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) November 11, 2012
Update: RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie updated some of the areas that the league reportedly budged on in a series of Tweets.
- Union guarantee of Escrow
- Union discretion to set the Escrow rate
- An increased playoff pool
- Minimum roster requirements
- No-trade clauses in extensions
- Eliminating re-entry waivers
- Adjustments to other waiver rules
- Performance bonus cushions in every year
- Changing the free agent calendar. (Lavoie believes it will no longer fall on July 1.)
Still, the bold points are similar, especially since Daly also admitted to Grange that there is “no real room to move on contract issues.”
(Despite a candid discussion.)
Overall, it appears that the two sides returned to the posturing/spin zone this weekend after keeping outsiders in the dark during some lengthy discussions.
While Fehr and Daly admit that it’s unclear when the two sides will meet again, the impression is that they will – which might give these yo-yo discussions a chance to move in a more optimistic direction once again.
Then again, there’s another negative to consider: we’re already almost halfway through November.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 16
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 80
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT