Nov 11, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
To little surprise, the two sides differ on their outlook regarding the specifics, though.
While Fehr implies that the NHL won’t budge at all – Fehr told Sportsnet’s Michael Grange that the leagues wants players to agree to their deal “to the comma” – Daly indicates to Grange that there’s at least some movement.
Daly said NHL did give on 14 of 17 issues -- things like minimum salaries; play off pool; waiver rules. Not make or break issues tho.—
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) November 11, 2012
Update: RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie updated some of the areas that the league reportedly budged on in a series of Tweets.
- Union guarantee of Escrow
- Union discretion to set the Escrow rate
- An increased playoff pool
- Minimum roster requirements
- No-trade clauses in extensions
- Eliminating re-entry waivers
- Adjustments to other waiver rules
- Performance bonus cushions in every year
- Changing the free agent calendar. (Lavoie believes it will no longer fall on July 1.)
Still, the bold points are similar, especially since Daly also admitted to Grange that there is “no real room to move on contract issues.”
(Despite a candid discussion.)
Overall, it appears that the two sides returned to the posturing/spin zone this weekend after keeping outsiders in the dark during some lengthy discussions.
While Fehr and Daly admit that it’s unclear when the two sides will meet again, the impression is that they will – which might give these yo-yo discussions a chance to move in a more optimistic direction once again.
Then again, there’s another negative to consider: we’re already almost halfway through November.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)