Nov 11, 2012, 3:42 PM EST
The two sides got together at the NHL offices in Manhattan at 1:30 this afternoon and things ended less-than amicably.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS hears from NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr that there was “discussion for 60 minutes on players contracting. I don’t know when we’ll get back together.”
Even more ominously, Katie Strang of ESPN.com reports Fehr doesn’t currently “see a path to an agreement” when it comes to the contracting issues. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells Pierre LeBrun there was “no progress” in today’s talks.
Meanwhile, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reportedly said during the meeting that “we’re past the point of give-and-take.” With an already shortened season and the Winter Classic being canceled, the amount of revenue they’re arguing about for this season is disappearing quickly.
Fehr tells Michael Grange of Sportsnet that Bettman expects the players to accept their deal “to the comma.” So much for compromise.
If you’re looking for a slight upside to all this, Fehr tells Strang “it won’t be too long” before the two sides meet again and that the players’ association would like to move talks back to Toronto.
For now, both Bettman and Bill Daly will head to Toronto for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. That shouldn’t be too distracting.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)