Nov 11, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
The two sides got together at the NHL offices in Manhattan at 1:30 this afternoon and things ended less-than amicably.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS hears from NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr that there was “discussion for 60 minutes on players contracting. I don’t know when we’ll get back together.”
Even more ominously, Katie Strang of ESPN.com reports Fehr doesn’t currently “see a path to an agreement” when it comes to the contracting issues. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells Pierre LeBrun there was “no progress” in today’s talks.
Meanwhile, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reportedly said during the meeting that “we’re past the point of give-and-take.” With an already shortened season and the Winter Classic being canceled, the amount of revenue they’re arguing about for this season is disappearing quickly.
Fehr tells Michael Grange of Sportsnet that Bettman expects the players to accept their deal “to the comma.” So much for compromise.
If you’re looking for a slight upside to all this, Fehr tells Strang “it won’t be too long” before the two sides meet again and that the players’ association would like to move talks back to Toronto.
For now, both Bettman and Bill Daly will head to Toronto for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. That shouldn’t be too distracting.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)