Nov 11, 2012, 3:42 PM EST
The two sides got together at the NHL offices in Manhattan at 1:30 this afternoon and things ended less-than amicably.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS hears from NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr that there was “discussion for 60 minutes on players contracting. I don’t know when we’ll get back together.”
Even more ominously, Katie Strang of ESPN.com reports Fehr doesn’t currently “see a path to an agreement” when it comes to the contracting issues. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells Pierre LeBrun there was “no progress” in today’s talks.
Meanwhile, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reportedly said during the meeting that “we’re past the point of give-and-take.” With an already shortened season and the Winter Classic being canceled, the amount of revenue they’re arguing about for this season is disappearing quickly.
Fehr tells Michael Grange of Sportsnet that Bettman expects the players to accept their deal “to the comma.” So much for compromise.
If you’re looking for a slight upside to all this, Fehr tells Strang “it won’t be too long” before the two sides meet again and that the players’ association would like to move talks back to Toronto.
For now, both Bettman and Bill Daly will head to Toronto for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. That shouldn’t be too distracting.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)