Nov 11, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
As of this moment, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA head Donald Fehr expect to attend Monday’s 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame induction, The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reports.
Many believe the lockout is casting a shadow over the event – especially since the tone of the negotiations went sour again this weekend – prompting some to wonder if they should sit the event out.
The Sporting News’ Jesse Spector doesn’t pull any punches when he explains why the debating duo should stay away from what’s normally a joyous hockey event.
Here are three of his most blistering paragraphs:
… Bettman and Daly already have teamed up with their NHLPA counterparts to bring down hockey in the present, and seriously hinder the game’s future. Might as well go for the hat trick and spoil a day meant to celebrate the past.
Make no mistake, if Bettman and Daly show up at the Hall of Fame on Monday—a day that is supposed to be about Sakic, Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, and Mats Sundin—they will steal the spotlight. Newspapers and television stations only have so much space and time to devote to hockey, and the presence of the NHL’s head honchos would require chronicling at the expense of the Hall of Famers. Even if Bettman and Daly refuse to speak to the media at the ceremony, their no-comments would merit a story.
These men are supposed to be the guardians of hockey, above all else. Even in labor negotiations, as badly as they are going, Bettman and Daly can at least say that they are working in the best interests of hockey, trying to keep the NHL on solid financial footing. Showing up at the Hall of Fame inductions, at a time when they have to know their presence will distract from the celebration, is not in anyone’s best interests.
Do you agree that the two “guardians of hockey” should stay out of the way?
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
“I spent seven years there.”
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)