Nov 11, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
As of this moment, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA head Donald Fehr expect to attend Monday’s 2012 Hockey Hall of Fame induction, The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reports.
Many believe the lockout is casting a shadow over the event – especially since the tone of the negotiations went sour again this weekend – prompting some to wonder if they should sit the event out.
The Sporting News’ Jesse Spector doesn’t pull any punches when he explains why the debating duo should stay away from what’s normally a joyous hockey event.
Here are three of his most blistering paragraphs:
… Bettman and Daly already have teamed up with their NHLPA counterparts to bring down hockey in the present, and seriously hinder the game’s future. Might as well go for the hat trick and spoil a day meant to celebrate the past.
Make no mistake, if Bettman and Daly show up at the Hall of Fame on Monday—a day that is supposed to be about Sakic, Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, and Mats Sundin—they will steal the spotlight. Newspapers and television stations only have so much space and time to devote to hockey, and the presence of the NHL’s head honchos would require chronicling at the expense of the Hall of Famers. Even if Bettman and Daly refuse to speak to the media at the ceremony, their no-comments would merit a story.
These men are supposed to be the guardians of hockey, above all else. Even in labor negotiations, as badly as they are going, Bettman and Daly can at least say that they are working in the best interests of hockey, trying to keep the NHL on solid financial footing. Showing up at the Hall of Fame inductions, at a time when they have to know their presence will distract from the celebration, is not in anyone’s best interests.
Do you agree that the two “guardians of hockey” should stay out of the way?
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
- Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates 1
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 21
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 6
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 26
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)