Nov 11, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
Joe Sakic might not have provided explosive quotes, but his staggering numbers and all-time-great wrist shot were memorable enough. Here are 19 facts/milestones from his incredible career:
1. Sakic scored a point (an assist) in his first career game in 1988-89 and found the net for the first time in his second – against Sean Burke.
2. Even better, he began his career on a 12-game point streak, according to Hockey Reference.
3. Sakic made his first of 12 All-Star appearances in 1990, collecting two assists in Pittsburgh.
4. He scored 100 points for the first time in his second campaign.
5. Later on, he’d become the second-oldest player to hit the 100-point plateau. Sakic did at 37, behind only Gordie Howe.
6. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1995-96, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 22 postseason games.
7. Not surprisingly, that’s when he won the first of two Stanley Cups.
8. Sakic’s eight playoff overtime goals is an NHL record.
9. His 1,641 career points places him ninth all-time.
10. He collected his 1,000th career point on Dec. 27, 1999:
11. Sakic became the 11th player to collect 1,000 assists on March 22, 2008.
12. His 625 goals ranks 15th all-time. Here’s No. 600:
13. Sakic is a member of the “Triple Gold Club,” having won a Stanley Cup, World Hockey Championship and Olympic gold medal.
14. Speaking of that Olympic gold medal, Sakic took home the MVP award of that 2002 tournament.
15. Sakic was drafted 15th overall in 1987, going behind some greats (Brendan Shanahan, Curtis Joseph) and some not-so-greats (Bryan Fogarty, Keith Osborne).
16. He basically owns the Colorado Avalanche/Quebec Nordiques record books, claiming the all-time lead in: goals, assists, points, power-play goals, short-handed goals and game-winning goals. (That also goes for many of the team’s playoff records.)
17. He was the second-longest serving captain in NHL history, according to the Avs.
18. The 2000-01 season was special for Joe. He won his second Cup and took home the Hart Trophy, Lady Byng and Ted Lindsay awards.
19. For all his accolades – these are just the highlights of his astounding career – many will remember what No. 19 did for No. 77 more than anything else:
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)