Nov 11, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
In anticipation of Monday’s Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, PHT is taking an in-depth look at each of the four main entrants.
Joe Sakic might not have provided explosive quotes, but his staggering numbers and all-time-great wrist shot were memorable enough. Here are 19 facts/milestones from his incredible career:
1. Sakic scored a point (an assist) in his first career game in 1988-89 and found the net for the first time in his second – against Sean Burke.
2. Even better, he began his career on a 12-game point streak, according to Hockey Reference.
3. Sakic made his first of 12 All-Star appearances in 1990, collecting two assists in Pittsburgh.
4. He scored 100 points for the first time in his second campaign.
5. Later on, he’d become the second-oldest player to hit the 100-point plateau. Sakic did at 37, behind only Gordie Howe.
6. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1995-96, scoring 18 goals and 34 points in 22 postseason games.
7. Not surprisingly, that’s when he won the first of two Stanley Cups.
8. Sakic’s eight playoff overtime goals is an NHL record.
9. His 1,641 career points places him ninth all-time.
10. He collected his 1,000th career point on Dec. 27, 1999:
11. Sakic became the 11th player to collect 1,000 assists on March 22, 2008.
12. His 625 goals ranks 15th all-time. Here’s No. 600:
13. Sakic is a member of the “Triple Gold Club,” having won a Stanley Cup, World Hockey Championship and Olympic gold medal.
14. Speaking of that Olympic gold medal, Sakic took home the MVP award of that 2002 tournament.
15. Sakic was drafted 15th overall in 1987, going behind some greats (Brendan Shanahan, Curtis Joseph) and some not-so-greats (Bryan Fogarty, Keith Osborne).
16. He basically owns the Colorado Avalanche/Quebec Nordiques record books, claiming the all-time lead in: goals, assists, points, power-play goals, short-handed goals and game-winning goals. (That also goes for many of the team’s playoff records.)
17. He was the second-longest serving captain in NHL history, according to the Avs.
18. The 2000-01 season was special for Joe. He won his second Cup and took home the Hart Trophy, Lady Byng and Ted Lindsay awards.
19. For all his accolades – these are just the highlights of his astounding career – many will remember what No. 19 did for No. 77 more than anything else:
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)