Report: No formal meetings planned yet after informal lunch

Nov 10, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

fehrgetty Getty Images

The NHL and NHLPA reportedly conducted an informal lunch meeting today – Sportsnet’s Michael Grange indicates that Steve Fehr and Bill Daly were among the ranks – but nothing formal is planned for Saturday, according to Grange.

So far, there aren’t any clear plans for Sunday yet, either.

Update: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the two sides will speak either Saturday night or Sunday morning to determine the next steps – or lack thereof.

After many hours of CBA negotiations this week, the two sides seemingly went from promisingly mum on details to sniping at each other as the weekend approached.

Not much has surfaced about the state of things on Saturday beyond previous bits about leaked memos and “make whole” provisions being insufficient, so observers have settled for making jokes about the lunch bill.

To some, this is a glum development after a week of heavy discussions. Others still see the bright side that the two sides are conversing even as things grew tense.

Either way, we’ll just need to sit and wait for updates as November rambles on.

1. jdrew506 - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the lockout does to unemployment and are these guys able to collect unemployment while locked out?

• claysbar - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Not sure of their NHL contract language, but most states require you to be available for work to qualify for benefits. They are being offered work, just not at the money they want. So even if with their salaries they were eligible, they wouldn’t qualify due to them not accepting suitable work. Plus, I’m pretty sure the cutoff is at like $100k.

2. isithockeyseasonyet - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Get rid of fehr and we’ll have hockey

3. ron05342 - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Well, there goes the momentum.

*SIGH*

4. concoursrider - Nov 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Meh, at this point I’m done. I am disgusted with both sides, and I’m starting not to care. As a Bruins fan, I used to defend Jacobs but not anymore as he’s a douche for NOT pushing for a deal. He’d be a hero if he pulled a “Bob Kraft” move. Jacobs had the Bruins lock up players with big contracts and now he doesn’t want to honor them…despicable hypocrite!

5. jdrew506 - Nov 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thanks clay I was just curious.

6. antkowiak666 - Nov 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

this is getting ridiculous and embarrassing to the league and the fans.the NHL has become a joke in the world of sports.

7. mgp1219 - Nov 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM

bomfeld says not to worry because he knows a deal will be done by Tuesday. hahahahahahaha!!! Dope!

8. blomfeld - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

“We should’ve gone round to the right” …

Of course those were the prophetic words of the illustrious General Sam Hood when speaking to General James “Pete” Longstreet after the conclusion of action on the second day of battle at Gettysburg. For those not in the know, what Hood was referring to was the fact that a “flanking” maneuver “around” the Union lines would have made far more sense than attacking the Federal positions “head on” the way they did up the slopes of Little Round Top. Of course, the Confederate’s failure to break the Union position that day, led directly to Lee’s “fatal” decision making the following morning.

The point is that much can be learned from history past. And I would submit that what Bettman’s now doing is in no way dissimilar to that “flanking” maneuver suggested by General Hood at Gettysburg in 1863. Fehr has shown himself to be “stubborn and dogged” during these proceedings, much like Colonel Chamberlain’s 20th Maine Division at the Little Round Top. So instead of continually trying to force the issue with the conventional “direct” approach, what I now see happening this weekend is Bettman shrewdly moving to “outflank” Fehr with a bold “new” approach and thus carry the day for us “real” hockey fans. Yes siree, Fehr and his lieutenants are about to get the surprise of their lives !

As for you lovers of “formality” and protocol ? Well all I can say to you people is PFFT ! Some of life’s biggest decisions or agreements are made on just a whim … and that applies to countries, corporations or the lone individual. Colonel Tom Parker sketched out Elvis’s Vegas concert deal in 1969 on a lousy scrap of paper ! Anyway, you pessimists just watch what happens now ! :)

GO ELVIS !

GO BETTMAN !!

GO STANLEY CUP CHAMPION LA KINGS !!!

• antkowiak666 - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

you said a deal would be struck by Nov. 5th/10th.today IS the 10th,so what now??

• kirkmcleansbaby - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

He did say that there was a +/- of 3 days as well though, so technically he has until November 15th……….come back then!

• mgp1219 - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

kirk,
        10 + 3 = 13, not 15; therefore, he only has until the 13th. It’s the new math.

• mgp1219 - Nov 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM

blomfeld,
      do you really wonder why I disparage you? let me tell you…it’s because you continually post things here that call attention to yourself with long worded posts like the one above with impertanent videos and /or grandiose verbiage with your secondary purpose being to make a minor point about the subject matter at hand. Stop trying to be a celebrity and I’ll call off the dogs.

• kirkmcleansbaby - Nov 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Wow……..Definite math FAIL on my part!!! :O Thanks for the correction mpg. Don’t know what I was thinking there?!?!?

• blomfeld - Nov 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Dearest mpg1219 …

Hate to break the news to you twinkle toes, but I’ll have you know that “your” contributions here at PHT are neither fun, interesting or informative … no sir ! … in fact I’ll have you know that your “predictable & pathetic” contributions here at PHT equate to nothing more than useless flotsam … or in other words, what a “million” other sheep are inclined to say … so “FU” mgp1219, you stupid, boring and predictable junk ! … and “FU” to you and your fellow “pathetic & weak-kneed” ilk !

9. acieu - Nov 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

No doubt you were excluding weekends in the calculation?

10. jimw81 - Nov 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

i guess they told jacbos lunch was at a different time.

11. irokkit - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

To clays bar:

The players are available for work….some of them in fact are actually playing in Europe….

The players are being locked out. No work has been offered to them. Also, they may be considered contractual labor (hence….contract negotiations)
    So, although I disagree with your assessment of their unemployment eligibility, I can say I don’t know how they fall legally either. And being part of the Union, it was up to the Union to have a pay structure in place when a work stoppage was imposed outside of the Unions doing. Like NOW!
    This is not a strike. This is a labor lock out.
    And while I am on the subject, I wonder two things. 1) which book did Boolmburg cut and paste from and 2) why do people dis Fehr? If I were a worker and my boss was trying to take all of my benefits away, I would want him fighting for me…his job is to represent the players. Clearly the players want him there. It’s either him or concede.

• claysbar - Nov 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Actually work has been offered to them. The NHL has tendered the NHLPA several offers. Union management and players have turned down these offers. I’m not going tit for tat with you, just saying that work was offered to them by the NHL on several occasions and turned down. Most states would probably deal with this as a “lay-off” situation, to qualify for benefits you would have to return to work if work was offered. Another thing to look at is if the players are considered “sub-contractors” when it comes to employment status. Obviously most of this is way above my pay grade, just musing based on my dealings with employees and unemployment situations.

12. irokkit - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

P.s. I am a Bruins lifer…. Matter of fact I think Jacobs has owned the B’s most of my life. I can’t say I hate him, but between him and Sinden and all their get close and cut him financial hoodwinking, I have never been a fan of his. And if you look at all the offers from the league about the new CBA structure…..it practically mirror images all the contracts that have come out of Boston the last 8 years, less Savard and Chara. So to all the people that trash the owners whom they feel is pulling the strings. I don’t blame you. I agree with you. So please, in this case, don’t hate the game, hate the owner. .

13. romasko - Nov 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM

beginning to think the NHL and NHLPA are in a sh*tting contest to see who can sh*t on the fans the most

14. capsrockva - Nov 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Please the the dam thing done please 4 the fans sake. Canceling the Winter Classic and all the college hockey that was to go with it SUCKS for the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m just glad NBC is going to air College hockey on the 16 and a double header on the 3oth

15. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Nov 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

This is getting funny? Both the negotiations and comments.
    So pucking funny man!

16. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Nov 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oh forgot GO KINGS GO!

17. irokkit - Nov 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Clausburg…. This whole philosophy of Blogging here IS tit for tat. Hopefully n funs sake. I neither want to provoke or evoke you.
    NO work has been offered. A offer of contract for work has been tendered. The players Union is READY for work. As noted previously in several forums the recently expired CBA had a provision in it allowing the players to play without a renewed CBA and work would continue under the guidelines of the expired CBA until which time a new deal could be penned.
    Well, speculation won’t get em out there anymore than a $93,000 unemployment check will. In FLA the max unemployment weekly check is $275.00. You think Jovanoski could pay his mortgage on that? Lol.

18. sjsharks66 - Nov 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM