Nov 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Being a coach during a lockout makes for a pretty boring time. You can’t communicate with players, you don’t have the daily rigors of preparing your team, and you can’t even talk about your team.
So how is Florida Panthers coach Kevin Dineen handling not working? As Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel finds out, he’s busy fishing with a baseball hall of famer.
“I spent time with Wade Boggs over the last couple of months and we’ve had conversations about Don Fehr, the things that he’s done for MLB Player’s Association, just that we’ve both been through these things before and I think they’re [other fishermen] are surprised and I hope that they’re happy I’m still around to participate in those events and am very fortunate to get down there.”
How to handle a suddenly large amount of free time can be tricky. Barry Trotz finds that he goes virtually stir crazy. Dineen? Out on the boat with Boggs.
Like many have said, Dineen understands the frustration the fans feel and he’s glad there’s emotion behind their words.
“Nothing worse than ambivalence where somebody’s just, ‘Whatever, hockey’s gone, we don’t care about it anymore.'”
As for now, here’s hoping one of those fishing trips doesn’t turn ugly like Boggs’ time spent in Springfield with The Simpsons.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)