Nov 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Being a coach during a lockout makes for a pretty boring time. You can’t communicate with players, you don’t have the daily rigors of preparing your team, and you can’t even talk about your team.
So how is Florida Panthers coach Kevin Dineen handling not working? As Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel finds out, he’s busy fishing with a baseball hall of famer.
“I spent time with Wade Boggs over the last couple of months and we’ve had conversations about Don Fehr, the things that he’s done for MLB Player’s Association, just that we’ve both been through these things before and I think they’re [other fishermen] are surprised and I hope that they’re happy I’m still around to participate in those events and am very fortunate to get down there.”
How to handle a suddenly large amount of free time can be tricky. Barry Trotz finds that he goes virtually stir crazy. Dineen? Out on the boat with Boggs.
Like many have said, Dineen understands the frustration the fans feel and he’s glad there’s emotion behind their words.
“Nothing worse than ambivalence where somebody’s just, ‘Whatever, hockey’s gone, we don’t care about it anymore.'”
As for now, here’s hoping one of those fishing trips doesn’t turn ugly like Boggs’ time spent in Springfield with The Simpsons.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)