Nov 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Being a coach during a lockout makes for a pretty boring time. You can’t communicate with players, you don’t have the daily rigors of preparing your team, and you can’t even talk about your team.
So how is Florida Panthers coach Kevin Dineen handling not working? As Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel finds out, he’s busy fishing with a baseball hall of famer.
“I spent time with Wade Boggs over the last couple of months and we’ve had conversations about Don Fehr, the things that he’s done for MLB Player’s Association, just that we’ve both been through these things before and I think they’re [other fishermen] are surprised and I hope that they’re happy I’m still around to participate in those events and am very fortunate to get down there.”
How to handle a suddenly large amount of free time can be tricky. Barry Trotz finds that he goes virtually stir crazy. Dineen? Out on the boat with Boggs.
Like many have said, Dineen understands the frustration the fans feel and he’s glad there’s emotion behind their words.
“Nothing worse than ambivalence where somebody’s just, ‘Whatever, hockey’s gone, we don’t care about it anymore.'”
As for now, here’s hoping one of those fishing trips doesn’t turn ugly like Boggs’ time spent in Springfield with The Simpsons.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)