Nov 10, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Being a coach during a lockout makes for a pretty boring time. You can’t communicate with players, you don’t have the daily rigors of preparing your team, and you can’t even talk about your team.
So how is Florida Panthers coach Kevin Dineen handling not working? As Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel finds out, he’s busy fishing with a baseball hall of famer.
“I spent time with Wade Boggs over the last couple of months and we’ve had conversations about Don Fehr, the things that he’s done for MLB Player’s Association, just that we’ve both been through these things before and I think they’re [other fishermen] are surprised and I hope that they’re happy I’m still around to participate in those events and am very fortunate to get down there.”
How to handle a suddenly large amount of free time can be tricky. Barry Trotz finds that he goes virtually stir crazy. Dineen? Out on the boat with Boggs.
Like many have said, Dineen understands the frustration the fans feel and he’s glad there’s emotion behind their words.
“Nothing worse than ambivalence where somebody’s just, ‘Whatever, hockey’s gone, we don’t care about it anymore.'”
As for now, here’s hoping one of those fishing trips doesn’t turn ugly like Boggs’ time spent in Springfield with The Simpsons.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (127)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)