Helm thinks he could play right now despite broken orbital bone

Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Darren Helm AP

Darren Helm‘s string of freak injuries continued when he was struck in the face by a puck during an informal skate a week ago.

He has a broken orbital bone, but fortunately he won’t need surgery. In fact, if the Detroit Red Wings were playing games right now, he thinks he could be a part of them, according to the Detroit News.

Of course, it’s somewhat moot at the moment because the lockout hasn’t ended. With that in mind, Helm has decided to take some time off from the informal skates he’s been attending and just let the injury heal.

“If I really wanted to, I could go out there,” Helm said in an MLive.com report. “It hurts moving around, kind of getting bumped around. I’d be wearing a full cage, but when I get blood flowing it starts kind of pulsing a little bit.

“We’re not playing, so there’s no sense to put it in too much aggravation, so I’m going to let it heal as much as I can.”

Helm also needed nine stitches, which he thinks brings the count up to 61 since last Christmas.

“Hockey gods aren’t on my side right now,” Helm said. “I might have to do something to fix that, but it’s hockey.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

2. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

3. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

4. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

5. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

6. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

7. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

8. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

9. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

10. Video: Babcock got a little snippy with the media last night

Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches