Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Darren Helm‘s string of freak injuries continued when he was struck in the face by a puck during an informal skate a week ago.
He has a broken orbital bone, but fortunately he won’t need surgery. In fact, if the Detroit Red Wings were playing games right now, he thinks he could be a part of them, according to the Detroit News.
Of course, it’s somewhat moot at the moment because the lockout hasn’t ended. With that in mind, Helm has decided to take some time off from the informal skates he’s been attending and just let the injury heal.
“If I really wanted to, I could go out there,” Helm said in an MLive.com report. “It hurts moving around, kind of getting bumped around. I’d be wearing a full cage, but when I get blood flowing it starts kind of pulsing a little bit.
“We’re not playing, so there’s no sense to put it in too much aggravation, so I’m going to let it heal as much as I can.”
Helm also needed nine stitches, which he thinks brings the count up to 61 since last Christmas.
“Hockey gods aren’t on my side right now,” Helm said. “I might have to do something to fix that, but it’s hockey.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 0
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)