Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Darren Helm‘s string of freak injuries continued when he was struck in the face by a puck during an informal skate a week ago.
He has a broken orbital bone, but fortunately he won’t need surgery. In fact, if the Detroit Red Wings were playing games right now, he thinks he could be a part of them, according to the Detroit News.
Of course, it’s somewhat moot at the moment because the lockout hasn’t ended. With that in mind, Helm has decided to take some time off from the informal skates he’s been attending and just let the injury heal.
“If I really wanted to, I could go out there,” Helm said in an MLive.com report. “It hurts moving around, kind of getting bumped around. I’d be wearing a full cage, but when I get blood flowing it starts kind of pulsing a little bit.
“We’re not playing, so there’s no sense to put it in too much aggravation, so I’m going to let it heal as much as I can.”
Helm also needed nine stitches, which he thinks brings the count up to 61 since last Christmas.
“Hockey gods aren’t on my side right now,” Helm said. “I might have to do something to fix that, but it’s hockey.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (113)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)