Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Darren Helm‘s string of freak injuries continued when he was struck in the face by a puck during an informal skate a week ago.
He has a broken orbital bone, but fortunately he won’t need surgery. In fact, if the Detroit Red Wings were playing games right now, he thinks he could be a part of them, according to the Detroit News.
Of course, it’s somewhat moot at the moment because the lockout hasn’t ended. With that in mind, Helm has decided to take some time off from the informal skates he’s been attending and just let the injury heal.
“If I really wanted to, I could go out there,” Helm said in an MLive.com report. “It hurts moving around, kind of getting bumped around. I’d be wearing a full cage, but when I get blood flowing it starts kind of pulsing a little bit.
“We’re not playing, so there’s no sense to put it in too much aggravation, so I’m going to let it heal as much as I can.”
Helm also needed nine stitches, which he thinks brings the count up to 61 since last Christmas.
“Hockey gods aren’t on my side right now,” Helm said. “I might have to do something to fix that, but it’s hockey.”
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games