Nov 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Blake Geoffrion suffered a skull fracture after taking a scary hit on Friday, but a press release from the Hamilton Bulldogs indicates that his surgery went well.
Geoffrion is in stable condition and is currently in the intensive care unit.
To little surprise, he’ll be out of hockey action indefinitely. The other good news is that the medical staff expects a “complete recovery,” according to the release.
The 24-year-old forward signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Montreal Canadiens in July, hoping to become an everyday NHL player in the future. Naturally, the top priority is his overall health, though.
As Montreal Gazette reporter Dave Stubbs notes, the illustrious Habs in his family have suffered their fair share of painful injuries:
Blake Geoffrion fractures skull on Montreal ice. Great-grandpa Howie broke leg, grandpa Bernie suffered ruptured bowel at Forum #Habs—
Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) November 10, 2012
Ruptured bowel? Yikes.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (81)