Nov 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Blake Geoffrion suffered a skull fracture after taking a scary hit on Friday, but a press release from the Hamilton Bulldogs indicates that his surgery went well.
Geoffrion is in stable condition and is currently in the intensive care unit.
To little surprise, he’ll be out of hockey action indefinitely. The other good news is that the medical staff expects a “complete recovery,” according to the release.
The 24-year-old forward signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Montreal Canadiens in July, hoping to become an everyday NHL player in the future. Naturally, the top priority is his overall health, though.
As Montreal Gazette reporter Dave Stubbs notes, the illustrious Habs in his family have suffered their fair share of painful injuries:
Blake Geoffrion fractures skull on Montreal ice. Great-grandpa Howie broke leg, grandpa Bernie suffered ruptured bowel at Forum #Habs—
Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) November 10, 2012
Ruptured bowel? Yikes.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)