Nov 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Blake Geoffrion suffered a skull fracture after taking a scary hit on Friday, but a press release from the Hamilton Bulldogs indicates that his surgery went well.
Geoffrion is in stable condition and is currently in the intensive care unit.
To little surprise, he’ll be out of hockey action indefinitely. The other good news is that the medical staff expects a “complete recovery,” according to the release.
The 24-year-old forward signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Montreal Canadiens in July, hoping to become an everyday NHL player in the future. Naturally, the top priority is his overall health, though.
As Montreal Gazette reporter Dave Stubbs notes, the illustrious Habs in his family have suffered their fair share of painful injuries:
Blake Geoffrion fractures skull on Montreal ice. Great-grandpa Howie broke leg, grandpa Bernie suffered ruptured bowel at Forum #Habs—
Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) November 10, 2012
Ruptured bowel? Yikes.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)