Nov 9, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
There’s “still a lot of work to do,” Donald Fehr said, according to Renaud P Lavoie, but the NHLPA’s executive director isn’t sure what the next step is.
The CBA negotiations have ended for the day and Fehr followed them up with some internal discussions. Those will continue tomorrow.
The good news is that he doesn’t think that the two sides are as far apart on the core economic issues as the NHL suggests, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
However, Fehr doesn’t like the NHL’s “make whole” proposal in its current form.
“With their make whole proposal, players won’t be able to receive every dollar of their deal,” Fehr said.
An NHL source recently suggested otherwise, but we might not have all the details.
Fehr also fought back against the recent accusation that his memo to the players didn’t fairly portray the league’s offer.
“Their proposal is in front of players who are in the room,” Fehr said.
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey added that “every player is welcome in every meeting.”
Ultimately what we can take away from this is that the negotiations might be at a bit of a crossroads. However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is willing to continue meeting and
the Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reported that the talks will probably end up resuming tomorrow.
Although both sides have made some less than encouraging statements from the perspective of a fan that simply wants the lockout to end, it’s worth remembering that a lot of progress has been made since the work stoppage began. The gap between the two sides has shrunk considerably — which would make it that much greater of a shame if the NHL and NHLPA are unable to come to an agreement before the 2012-13 season is lost.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)