Fehr: NHL’s “make whole” offer not good enough

Nov 9, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT

Donald Fehr AP

There’s “still a lot of work to do,” Donald Fehr said, according to Renaud P Lavoie, but the NHLPA’s executive director isn’t sure what the next step is.

The CBA negotiations have ended for the day and Fehr followed them up with some internal discussions. Those will continue tomorrow.

The good news is that he doesn’t think that the two sides are as far apart on the core economic issues as the NHL suggests, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.

However, Fehr doesn’t like the NHL’s “make whole” proposal in its current form.

“With their make whole proposal, players won’t be able to receive every dollar of their deal,” Fehr said.

An NHL source recently suggested otherwise, but we might not have all the details.

Fehr also fought back against the recent accusation that his memo to the players didn’t fairly portray the league’s offer.

“Their proposal is in front of players who are in the room,” Fehr said.

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey added that “every player is welcome in every meeting.”

Ultimately what we can take away from this is that the negotiations might be at a bit of a crossroads. However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is willing to continue meeting and
the Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reported that the talks will probably end up resuming tomorrow.

Although both sides have made some less than encouraging statements from the perspective of a fan that simply wants the lockout to end, it’s worth remembering that a lot of progress has been made since the work stoppage began. The gap between the two sides has shrunk considerably — which would make it that much greater of a shame if the NHL and NHLPA are unable to come to an agreement before the 2012-13 season is lost.

1. bcjim - Nov 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

OK…time to just come out and say it…f-you players. Burn a year. Throw a ton of money away and follow this fool Fehr off a cliff. Good for you and your principles. I hope you like zero % better than whatever the owners are offering.

• id4joey - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

bcjim, are you not over reacting a little? The league is dictating the timeline of this labor dispute, which is their right since they are the employers. The league has already cancelled all games until the end of November. So, the earliest the season can start is Dec 1st, which would come at least 1 week after the start of a shortened training camp. In essence the NHL has given themselves and the PA until Nov 20 to find a compromise to start on Dec 1st. I’m no genius,  but I’m willing to bet the NHL will NOT cancel the whole month of Dec if there is no agreement by Nov 20. They will probably will cancel games on a weekly or bi- weekly basis to slowly put pressure on the players. Now, assuming they start sometime in January, this would mean the owners would have saved a boat load of money by not having a full training camp, and no hockey operations expenses throughout the slow month of November.

Now is a time to sit back and let the negotiators come to a compromise.  As you wrote,  loosing something is better than loosing 100%. Fehr and the players know this, so now it’s a matter of loosing as little as possible.

2. nepo784 - Nov 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Jeremy Jacobs will be the cause for an agreement to be made later than it should be…

3. Stiller43 - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Bcjim,

…just curious, why are you hating on the players in the lockout?

I ask that not because i back the players (i think both are equally at fault, as both have basically said f-you, we’re not going to play with these rules you’re proposing), just curious.

4. capesouth - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I think they should stop talking to the press until this is settled. You can already see it turning back into the ‘he said – he said’ arguments. I understand both sides don’t want to be misinterpreted in the media but talking to the media stirs up frustration on both sides bc they feel like they need to get the last word. That is not good for this process of negotiation. Also, who can blame the NHLPA for saying, ‘no, you agreed to these contracts so to try and short change them is BS’?? I get it. I don’t think this gets settled unless they come off that argument though. The owners don’t want to have these new guidelines in place but still have to pay a handful of players on their respective teams these, what would be considered, ‘excessive’ contracts. It would be like everyone else falls under the umbrella of this new CBA, except the contracts that were already signed and last for 10 years at 6 per.

5. muckthefets - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Could you guarantee that Fehr will indeed drive off a cliff?? This guy is a friggin cancer, he is milking this damn thing as much as he can to cement his legacy as a complete douche bag spanning two major sports. I cannot wait to not hear his name ever again.

6. bcjim - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I’m not on the owners side really I just don’t think the players have any leverage. I just want hockey and the players could have probably gotten whatever t ultimate deal is a month ago.

It’s like taking your kid in for a shot at he doctor. He might cry, whine, resist, etc but eventually, he is getting the shot.

• id4joey - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

bcjim, as I wrote above, the NHL is dictating the timeline for the labor negotiations. Now they are ready to comprimise, and the PA is trying to lose as little as possible from the player’s perspective.

7. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

• blomfeld - Nov 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Thedavesiknowiknow – Hey man, I know you’re a fellow video guy like me and good on you for that ! But seriously pal, you’ve gotta say something ? If you don’t, then people are going to start wondering about you man and what your “deal” really is ? Of course I also speak in “code” a lot of the time here and so I know about stuff like that. But for the life of me, I just can’t get a handle on what your angle really is ?

- al-Qaeda “techno” operative ?
      - disgruntled and “recently” laid-off airline pilot ?
      - Flyers fan who’s suffering from a “bad” case of Brygalitis ?

whatever your deal is friend, the bottom line is that you’re gonna have to level with us and start talking … it doesn’t matter what you say, given all the crap that’s otherwise spewed here on this website … all that matters is that you “actually” say something … so allow me to offer you a few simple suggestions for your “new found” voice …

- I really like those LA Kings !
      - Jonanthan Quick is by far the best goalie going !
      - “as if” the Kings won’t repeat as Stanley Cup Champions this year !
      - hi you guys ! … how’s it going ? … isn’t it great to be a Kings fan these days, eh ? :)

• thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Ha! My angle? Well, I guess it’s that all this lockout talk is unnecessary, the majority of the opinions here are completely ill-informed on collective bargaining (and most aren’t even aware of who is actually doing the negotiating), and as much as I’d like to chime in- I can pretty much find a South Park video that says it better than I ever could. Yes, amid the weiners and turds, every post has something to do with the topic, or my feelings on the topic, or is my reaction to the “spin” coming (usually) from the NHLPA and/or the Fehrs.

It’s not as if I’ve never spoken here before. In fact, from time to time (when a hockey related topic arrives) I’m still speaking now. However, as far as the CBA related topics go- it’s all crap, and until an agreement is reached and hockey resumes, I’ll express my opinion through vids. When hockey resumes, I assure you I’ll speak. Not about the Flyers though; it’s was a blast watching them fail, but as a Sabres fan……you know……glass houses…..stones.

P.S. Your Elvis vids usually crack me up. Did you see the dude that insinuated that this was your “second account”? Anyways, cheers.

• blomfeld - Nov 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

thedavesiknowiknow – Good to hear from you friend and hey man, I “hear you” regarding this lockout BS. Yeah, I thought I did recall you speaking here at PHT previously ? Anyway, just like my LA Kings, you Sabers sure are a “cool” team and so I think that “good times” may be just around the corner for you guys ? You’ve got young and dynamic “CoHo” now, as well as the second best goalie in the NHL today ! … GO SABERS !!!!! :)

1) Jonathan Quick
        2) Ryan Miller ***
        3) Henrik Lundqvist
        4) Cory Schneider
        5) Carey Price

146) Roberto Luongo
        147) Ilya “me like vodka” Bryzgalov

*** special video selection for “thedavesiknowiknow” ***

• millertime30 - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM

SABRES NOT SABERS!!!!

8. canadabaseball - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Just get my god damb hockey back

9. antkowiak666 - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

i’m beginning to really hate this Fehr fella.

10. bigoldorcafromvan - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Fehr. I hope Bettman gives you something to remember this weekend by and tell you to come back in a year and see what willl be offered to you greedy bunch of bas0000[erds and I hope it is a whole lot less than what they are offering now. Shut it down for a year and get the deal right NHL> tired of Fehr. He has destroyed too much in the last 15 years.

• millertime30 - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

are the owners not just as greedy? picking sides in this is silly. they’re all obnoxious and keeping hockey from us.

11. akmd1984 - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I posted this on the last story by mistake, meant to put it here

I’m going to put this as nicely as I possibly can….

Dear Mr Fehr,
    As a paying customer of the NHL I feel that I have the right to say, and I think I speak for all the die hard hockey fans here, please go #%^* yourself in the &@# so we can have our hockey back.

Sincerely,
    A lifelong player and fan of the greatest game on earth

• mpg44 - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Amen!!! Fellow player and fan.

12. blomfeld - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !

A message to Gary Bettman …

As an ardent and values-driven fan of the Los Angeles Kings, I’m asking you Gary to finally put this thing to rest. All of your objectives have been met (ie: granted they were actually met some time ago, but regardless) and this delay in the proceedings is running the risk of now making Fehr look like he actually knows what he’s doing ? So for the sake of us fans and everyone else, please end this “post haste” and let’s get going with our hockey season, okay ? Thank you and best regards … Blomfeld :)

13. Stiller43 - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Just to take our minds off it:

14. bubblehead22 - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’ve dropped my 2 cents before on this, and as time marches on we will all unfortunately see that Fehr is an egomaniac and he has made this about the attention he is getting. I agree with most of what’s been said here and he can go $&@$ himself right in the goat a$$!

• millertime30 - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

He is.

So is Bettman.

15. stangz11 - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I thought we weren’t talking to the media Fehr? He has to realize that no good is going to come out of him going to the press and complaining like this. The owners won’t be pushed around, it’s not their nature. In order for him to get the best deal for the players he has to avoid comments like this which only serve to further divide the two sides. This deal could be done in 24 hours in if wasn’t for Fehr and other players constantly coming out and discussing how they aren’t happy with the offers. Just shut up and lock yourselves in a room already

• sharksfanatic - Nov 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Agree!

16. txhockeydad - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:04 AM

You boys just keep farting around….my dollars have found others places to go.

17. dutchman1350 - Nov 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

It’s to the point the owners can say, final offer, or season cancelled. If you make $500k, or $5MM, it will hurt.

18. sharksfanatic - Nov 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Not good. This is such BS!

19. wenzel0232 - Nov 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Fehr wants 82 games worth of pay if they only play 70????
    I want to keep shagging my ex girlfriends after I get married, and hope my wife’s ok with it.

What an absolute farking retard.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D