Crosby says 60-game season would be “pretty fair”

Nov 9, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

Sidney Crosby isn’t just coming to grips with the reality of a shortened NHL season — he also has a number in mind.

That’s what the Penguins captain told WXDX Pittsburgh radio on Friday, suggesting a 60-game schedule would work well:

On games needed to have a legitimate regular season:

Sidney Crosby: “I don’t really have a number. I just think as many as they can get. That’s what I would hope would be everyone’s goal. I don’t want to put a number on it — the closer we can get to a full one, the better for everybody.”

On how many games are enough for everyone to get a fair shake:

SC: “Right off the top of my head, I gotta think 60. … I’m sure less than that could be played but I think 60 would be pretty fair. There are teams that struggle and that gives you a chance to go through a tough point in the season and still have time to kinda gather yourself. So that’s a length that I’m sure everyone could live with, but I’m sure that we’d all be much happier playing much more than that.”

On the the 48-game schedule after a work stoppage in 1994:

SC: “There’s at least that. Maybe they could think about that, but I really don’t know. I think 60 is a fair amount but I don’t even want to talk about that because if they’ve canceled 12 for everyone then that still leaves us at 70.”

(Transcription courtesy Sports Radio Interviews)

The 1994-95 lockout ended on Jan. 11 and the regular season started nine days later, on Jan. 20.

Games ran through May 3, the first time in NHL history the regular season extended into May, and teams only played intra-conference contests, meaning Eastern and Western conference teams didn’t face each other.

The 1994-95 postseason began on May 6 (comparatively speaking, last year’s playoffs began on Apr. 11) and ended on June 24, thanks in large part to New Jersey sweeping the Detroit in the Stanley Cup final.

Latest Posts
  1. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

2. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

3. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

4. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

5. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

6. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

7. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

8. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

9. Habs re-sign deadline pickup Flynn: two years, $1.9 million

Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.

10. Florida waives Boyes for buyout purposes

Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Florida Panthers Getty Images

33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.

11. Hurricanes to buy out Semin

Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Six goals in 57 games last season.

12. What character concerns? Treliving has ‘slept like a baby’ since Hamilton trade

Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT

Dougie Hamilton Getty Images

“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “

13. ‘Hawks sign No. 3 goalie Leighton to one-year extension

Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT

Michael Leighton, Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches