Nov 9, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
Sidney Crosby isn’t just coming to grips with the reality of a shortened NHL season — he also has a number in mind.
That’s what the Penguins captain told WXDX Pittsburgh radio on Friday, suggesting a 60-game schedule would work well:
On games needed to have a legitimate regular season:
Sidney Crosby: “I don’t really have a number. I just think as many as they can get. That’s what I would hope would be everyone’s goal. I don’t want to put a number on it — the closer we can get to a full one, the better for everybody.”
On how many games are enough for everyone to get a fair shake:
SC: “Right off the top of my head, I gotta think 60. … I’m sure less than that could be played but I think 60 would be pretty fair. There are teams that struggle and that gives you a chance to go through a tough point in the season and still have time to kinda gather yourself. So that’s a length that I’m sure everyone could live with, but I’m sure that we’d all be much happier playing much more than that.”
On the the 48-game schedule after a work stoppage in 1994:
SC: “There’s at least that. Maybe they could think about that, but I really don’t know. I think 60 is a fair amount but I don’t even want to talk about that because if they’ve canceled 12 for everyone then that still leaves us at 70.”
The 1994-95 lockout ended on Jan. 11 and the regular season started nine days later, on Jan. 20.
Games ran through May 3, the first time in NHL history the regular season extended into May, and teams only played intra-conference contests, meaning Eastern and Western conference teams didn’t face each other.
The 1994-95 postseason began on May 6 (comparatively speaking, last year’s playoffs began on Apr. 11) and ended on June 24, thanks in large part to New Jersey sweeping the Detroit in the Stanley Cup final.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Both players might be suspended for their actions last night.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
This is his third suspension.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
These two teams have gone on very different paths since the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)