Nov 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Chris Chelios’ storybook NHL career ended two years ago and he’s still not quite sure what he wants to dedicate himself to in this new chapter of his life — but that doesn’t mean he’s been passive.
Chelios is spending his weekdays with Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, giving the young players the benefit of his 26-season long pro career, according to MLive.com.
“Cheli’s a part of our coaching staff as far as deciding who is going to play and how we’re going to play,” Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill said. “He’s invested in the team, no question.
“When I got the job, I said to myself that I wanted to make sure Cheli knew that I wanted him to be here as much as he can. He said he’d love to continue to do what he did before, and expand that as time permits.”
Chelios hasn’t completely given himself to the Griffins yet. His weekends are reserved for attending his sons’ hockey games with Michigan State and he cited his kids as one of the key reasons why he hasn’t completely committed himself to his current or a new path.
That’s his choice and there’s nothing wrong with it, but at some point he might decide that he wants a bigger role with a hockey team. He’s already been moving in that direction by taking on more responsibilities this season, but he still still not done weighing his options.
“I’m still not quite sure what I want to do, as far as management or coaching,” Chelios said. “But right now I’m leaning in that (coaching) direction. To learn from Blash and be around (assistant coach) Jimmy Paek, it’s a great way to get experience.
“It’s all new to me even though I played so many years. Coaching is just a whole different ballgame.”
So for now he’ll stick with Grand Rapids, where prospects like up-and-coming defenseman Brendan Smith are more than happy to learn from the legend.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)