Nov 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Chris Chelios’ storybook NHL career ended two years ago and he’s still not quite sure what he wants to dedicate himself to in this new chapter of his life — but that doesn’t mean he’s been passive.
Chelios is spending his weekdays with Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, giving the young players the benefit of his 26-season long pro career, according to MLive.com.
“Cheli’s a part of our coaching staff as far as deciding who is going to play and how we’re going to play,” Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill said. “He’s invested in the team, no question.
“When I got the job, I said to myself that I wanted to make sure Cheli knew that I wanted him to be here as much as he can. He said he’d love to continue to do what he did before, and expand that as time permits.”
Chelios hasn’t completely given himself to the Griffins yet. His weekends are reserved for attending his sons’ hockey games with Michigan State and he cited his kids as one of the key reasons why he hasn’t completely committed himself to his current or a new path.
That’s his choice and there’s nothing wrong with it, but at some point he might decide that he wants a bigger role with a hockey team. He’s already been moving in that direction by taking on more responsibilities this season, but he still still not done weighing his options.
“I’m still not quite sure what I want to do, as far as management or coaching,” Chelios said. “But right now I’m leaning in that (coaching) direction. To learn from Blash and be around (assistant coach) Jimmy Paek, it’s a great way to get experience.
“It’s all new to me even though I played so many years. Coaching is just a whole different ballgame.”
So for now he’ll stick with Grand Rapids, where prospects like up-and-coming defenseman Brendan Smith are more than happy to learn from the legend.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Could Devan Dubnyk take a run at Mike Smith’s job?
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)