Nov 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Chris Chelios’ storybook NHL career ended two years ago and he’s still not quite sure what he wants to dedicate himself to in this new chapter of his life — but that doesn’t mean he’s been passive.
Chelios is spending his weekdays with Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, giving the young players the benefit of his 26-season long pro career, according to MLive.com.
“Cheli’s a part of our coaching staff as far as deciding who is going to play and how we’re going to play,” Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill said. “He’s invested in the team, no question.
“When I got the job, I said to myself that I wanted to make sure Cheli knew that I wanted him to be here as much as he can. He said he’d love to continue to do what he did before, and expand that as time permits.”
Chelios hasn’t completely given himself to the Griffins yet. His weekends are reserved for attending his sons’ hockey games with Michigan State and he cited his kids as one of the key reasons why he hasn’t completely committed himself to his current or a new path.
That’s his choice and there’s nothing wrong with it, but at some point he might decide that he wants a bigger role with a hockey team. He’s already been moving in that direction by taking on more responsibilities this season, but he still still not done weighing his options.
“I’m still not quite sure what I want to do, as far as management or coaching,” Chelios said. “But right now I’m leaning in that (coaching) direction. To learn from Blash and be around (assistant coach) Jimmy Paek, it’s a great way to get experience.
“It’s all new to me even though I played so many years. Coaching is just a whole different ballgame.”
So for now he’ll stick with Grand Rapids, where prospects like up-and-coming defenseman Brendan Smith are more than happy to learn from the legend.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Could either catch on with another team?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another draft bust leaves the organization.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Good things like getting an assist in three straight games.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Rob Zepp was starting to look like a possibility to be the team’s backup.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Zdeno Chara’s advancing age is one reason for Bruins fans to worry.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer says they’re still dating.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)