Nov 9, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Chris Chelios’ storybook NHL career ended two years ago and he’s still not quite sure what he wants to dedicate himself to in this new chapter of his life — but that doesn’t mean he’s been passive.
Chelios is spending his weekdays with Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, giving the young players the benefit of his 26-season long pro career, according to MLive.com.
“Cheli’s a part of our coaching staff as far as deciding who is going to play and how we’re going to play,” Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill said. “He’s invested in the team, no question.
“When I got the job, I said to myself that I wanted to make sure Cheli knew that I wanted him to be here as much as he can. He said he’d love to continue to do what he did before, and expand that as time permits.”
Chelios hasn’t completely given himself to the Griffins yet. His weekends are reserved for attending his sons’ hockey games with Michigan State and he cited his kids as one of the key reasons why he hasn’t completely committed himself to his current or a new path.
That’s his choice and there’s nothing wrong with it, but at some point he might decide that he wants a bigger role with a hockey team. He’s already been moving in that direction by taking on more responsibilities this season, but he still still not done weighing his options.
“I’m still not quite sure what I want to do, as far as management or coaching,” Chelios said. “But right now I’m leaning in that (coaching) direction. To learn from Blash and be around (assistant coach) Jimmy Paek, it’s a great way to get experience.
“It’s all new to me even though I played so many years. Coaching is just a whole different ballgame.”
So for now he’ll stick with Grand Rapids, where prospects like up-and-coming defenseman Brendan Smith are more than happy to learn from the legend.
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)