Nov 9, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Canadiens prospect Blake Geoffrion was the victim of a head injury when he fell to the ice following a hit from Jean-Philippe Cote, La Presse writer Marc Antoine Godin reports. There was blood on the ice as he exited Friday’s game between Geoffrion’s AHL Hamilton Bulldogs and the Syracuse Crunch.
He was hospitalized and needed surgery, according to Canadian Press writer Heather Engel.
The good news is that Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre said that the injury isn’t life-threatening.
Beyond that, not much information has been released yet regarding the nature or severity of Geoffrion’s injury.
Geoffrion was taken in the second round of the 2008 NHL entry draft and excelled with the University of Wisconsin. Over the past few years, Geoffrion he been trying to establish himself at the NHL level and has 55 combined games with the Montreal Canadiens and Nashville Predators on his resume.
Update: Cote’s skate might have made contact with Geoffrion’s head based on reports from Marc Antoine Godin and the Montreal Gazette.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)