Nov 9, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Canadiens prospect Blake Geoffrion was the victim of a head injury when he fell to the ice following a hit from Jean-Philippe Cote, La Presse writer Marc Antoine Godin reports. There was blood on the ice as he exited Friday’s game between Geoffrion’s AHL Hamilton Bulldogs and the Syracuse Crunch.
He was hospitalized and needed surgery, according to Canadian Press writer Heather Engel.
The good news is that Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre said that the injury isn’t life-threatening.
Beyond that, not much information has been released yet regarding the nature or severity of Geoffrion’s injury.
Geoffrion was taken in the second round of the 2008 NHL entry draft and excelled with the University of Wisconsin. Over the past few years, Geoffrion he been trying to establish himself at the NHL level and has 55 combined games with the Montreal Canadiens and Nashville Predators on his resume.
Update: Cote’s skate might have made contact with Geoffrion’s head based on reports from Marc Antoine Godin and the Montreal Gazette.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)