Nov 9, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Canadiens prospect Blake Geoffrion was the victim of a head injury when he fell to the ice following a hit from Jean-Philippe Cote, La Presse writer Marc Antoine Godin reports. There was blood on the ice as he exited Friday’s game between Geoffrion’s AHL Hamilton Bulldogs and the Syracuse Crunch.
He was hospitalized and needed surgery, according to Canadian Press writer Heather Engel.
The good news is that Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre said that the injury isn’t life-threatening.
Beyond that, not much information has been released yet regarding the nature or severity of Geoffrion’s injury.
Geoffrion was taken in the second round of the 2008 NHL entry draft and excelled with the University of Wisconsin. Over the past few years, Geoffrion he been trying to establish himself at the NHL level and has 55 combined games with the Montreal Canadiens and Nashville Predators on his resume.
Update: Cote’s skate might have made contact with Geoffrion’s head based on reports from Marc Antoine Godin and the Montreal Gazette.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 13
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 87
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)