Nov 8, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Today, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Hagelin has returned to New York for rehab.
The injury occurred in late October while Hagelin was playing for Sodertalje (SSK) in the Allsvenskan. At first, it was classified as a shoulder bruise and his timetable for return was day-to-day — but on Tuesday, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reported Sodertalje team officials were concerned it was more severe than first thought.
Ek also noted the Rangers were likely to get involved in the matter, which it appears they have.
While the news sounds potentially dire, do remember all European teams are in the midst of a two week break as international play goes on. As such, several players returned to North America.
Hagelin was supposed to participate in internationla play — he was originally part of the Swedish team set to compete in the Karjala Cup — but pulled out at the last minute due to the shoulder injury.
Related: Brooks notes that, because of the lockout, Hagelin is not permitted to get rehab from the Rangers’ training staff.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 1
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33