Nov 8, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Today, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Hagelin has returned to New York for rehab.
The injury occurred in late October while Hagelin was playing for Sodertalje (SSK) in the Allsvenskan. At first, it was classified as a shoulder bruise and his timetable for return was day-to-day — but on Tuesday, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reported Sodertalje team officials were concerned it was more severe than first thought.
Ek also noted the Rangers were likely to get involved in the matter, which it appears they have.
While the news sounds potentially dire, do remember all European teams are in the midst of a two week break as international play goes on. As such, several players returned to North America.
Hagelin was supposed to participate in internationla play — he was originally part of the Swedish team set to compete in the Karjala Cup — but pulled out at the last minute due to the shoulder injury.
Related: Brooks notes that, because of the lockout, Hagelin is not permitted to get rehab from the Rangers’ training staff.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)