Nov 8, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Today, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Hagelin has returned to New York for rehab.
The injury occurred in late October while Hagelin was playing for Sodertalje (SSK) in the Allsvenskan. At first, it was classified as a shoulder bruise and his timetable for return was day-to-day — but on Tuesday, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reported Sodertalje team officials were concerned it was more severe than first thought.
Ek also noted the Rangers were likely to get involved in the matter, which it appears they have.
While the news sounds potentially dire, do remember all European teams are in the midst of a two week break as international play goes on. As such, several players returned to North America.
Hagelin was supposed to participate in internationla play — he was originally part of the Swedish team set to compete in the Karjala Cup — but pulled out at the last minute due to the shoulder injury.
Related: Brooks notes that, because of the lockout, Hagelin is not permitted to get rehab from the Rangers’ training staff.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)