Nov 8, 2012, 4:32 PM EST
Today, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Hagelin has returned to New York for rehab.
The injury occurred in late October while Hagelin was playing for Sodertalje (SSK) in the Allsvenskan. At first, it was classified as a shoulder bruise and his timetable for return was day-to-day — but on Tuesday, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reported Sodertalje team officials were concerned it was more severe than first thought.
Ek also noted the Rangers were likely to get involved in the matter, which it appears they have.
While the news sounds potentially dire, do remember all European teams are in the midst of a two week break as international play goes on. As such, several players returned to North America.
Hagelin was supposed to participate in internationla play — he was originally part of the Swedish team set to compete in the Karjala Cup — but pulled out at the last minute due to the shoulder injury.
Related: Brooks notes that, because of the lockout, Hagelin is not permitted to get rehab from the Rangers’ training staff.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)