Nov 8, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
There’s not much CBA stuff to report on right now, so let’s piggyback off the news that Pavel Bure’s number will be retired by the Vancouver Canucks to explore a question that Halford asked on Twitter the other day:
How long would Bure have been suspended for elbowing Shane Churla if it had occurred during the 2012 playoffs?
If you haven’t seen the play, enjoy:
The hit occurred in Game 2 of the 1994 Western Conference semi-finals. The Canucks went on to win the series in five games and went all the way to the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost to the Rangers in seven.
Bure wasn’t penalized on the play and was fined just $500 (!!!) by NHL disciplinarian Brian Burke.
Not surprisingly, Churla was incensed: “If it was the other way around, I’d be gone for 15 games at least. People would be calling me the biggest goon in hockey.”
But Bure didn’t see it that way, arguing it was the only thing he could do to stop the abuse he was taking on the ice.
“It’s not my style, but I had no choice,” he said. “They’re trying to kill me. I’m lucky I didn’t get hurt.”
Even worse for the Stars, Bure caught fire and, as Sports Illustrated put it, “almost single-handedly” eliminated Dallas.
Might the Stars have made it a closer series, or even won, if Bure had been suspended? It’s possible, given Games 3, 4, and 5 in Vancouver were decided by four goals combined and Games 6 and 7 would’ve been played in Dallas.
So back to the original question: What would Bure have received from Brendan Shanahan if the hit happened in 2012?
I’m going to say five games. If Churla had been seriously hurt (he didn’t miss a game), it would’ve been more.
Yes, Bure was a superstar, and the NHL loves its superstars. But consider:
—- The puck was nowhere near Churla. He had no reason to believe he was about to be blindsided. It was the definition of defenseless.
—- It was a direct head shot.
—- It was retaliatory.
Anyway, feel free to argue in the comments section. It’s been too long since we’ve been able to do that.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)