Donald Fehr talks about the silence

Nov 8, 2012, 8:16 PM EST

Donald Fehr AP

Thursday’s CBA negotiations tackled “a wide range of topics relating to issues between us,” according to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, according to NHL.com writer Dan Rosen.

What those topics were, he won’t say, although it seems reasonable to assume that the NHLPA’s latest offers probably came up.

You might see the NHL and union’s recent restraint as a positive sign and even a refreshing change. However, if you’re frustrated by it, Fehr did offer up an explanation for the decision.

“You hear things and you need to think about it, work on it, you need to formulate an appropriate response,” Fehr said. “Sometimes that becomes more difficult if you talk publicly about it before you go through the work.”

At the end of the day, fans of the game want the lockout to end. Hopefully the more secretive nature surrounding the CBA talks will help accomplish that goal.

1. dlk75150 - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Go screw yourself fehr you self righteous jerk who is only in it for how he benefits. The players really made a mistake hiring this idiot.

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You have to admit though that the picture is very appropriate. Luring people over to the darkside like mindless cattle

• billsin20xx - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yes, you need your meds. Fehr is the one that saved MLB, how many games have they lost to labor disputes? Look up their records compared to the NHL, NBA and NFL. If he an get a lasting peace for the NHL like he did for MLB he belongs in the hall of fame.

• comeonnowguys - Nov 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Right. Just like he saved Major League Baseball by vehemently defending against player testing while juiced up lab freaks re-wrote the record books?

Yeah, his place in baseball history is cemented, alright.

Just because Bettman’s a tool, that doesn’t mean that everyone else in the room is in the right.

2. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

3. id4joey - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

dlk75150, did you forget to take your medication again?

4. med1435 - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Don Fehr seems to look like a movie villain in most every picture that’s posted of him here…but aside from that, I am cautiously optimistic. I just really want NHL hockey back (and yes I’m weak-minded, a sheep and whatever else you want to call me because I freely and openly admit that I’ll be going back – I don’t have it in me to stay away to try to make some kind of statement-I love it too much) and I think this is the most negotiating they’ve done since this whole thing started. Really hoping they’re going to get it done.

5. bigoldorcafromvan - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM

this is about the first time I have agreeded with Fehr. And he really didn.t have to say that much. Just get it done.

6. manchestermiracle - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Dick Cheney’s long-lost brother….

7. capsfan19 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Fehr is like gollum from lord of the rings? “Yesss my preeciouss”

8. fortwaynekomets - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I so over all this rediculous NHL drama.
    I ordered my online subscription for the ECHL season! its awesome! any game, any time on demand OR live!! and I still got $2,406 left over to spend from my NHL ducks season tix!!!! Just go to America one sports dot com and ECHL pass is waiting for ya! you can buy single games, monthly, or season pass!!!

Go Fort Wayne Komets!!!

9. mississippimudslinger - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I bet the players care and are thinking about EACH and EVERY ONE OF YOU during all this … lol

(well not really but …)

• id4joey - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

missi, WTF, how may brain cells do you have remaining?

10. coreydm80 - Nov 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

@mississippimudslinger. How many times are u going to copy and paste ur negative comment?

11. desertfan - Nov 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM

So tonight we get to see probably the finest young NHL team play for real in Abbottsford vs the Heat for 10% of NHL regular prices.

Taylor Hall
    Ryan Nugent Hopkins
    Jordan Eberle
    Shultz-D-man leading the AHL in scoring
    Etc.
    Etc.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches