Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It appears Carl Hagelin‘s shoulder could be in worse shape than the initial diagnosis suggested.
The New York Rangers forward, currently playing in Sweden’s Allsvenskan for Sodertalje (SSK), left a recent game with what was classified as a shoulder bruise, a minor injury with a recovery timeline of day-to-day.
As such, there was no cause for major concern when Hagelin removed himself from the Team Sweden lineup for the Karjala Cup. The four nation tournament began on Wednesday and runs through the European international break, which Hagelin was going to use for rest and rehab.
But now, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reports Sodertalje team officials are concerned of the injury’s severity.
(WARNING: Google translate ahead.)
[Hagelin] has now completed an extensive survey and SSK waiting anxiously for a reply.
We do not know how badly hurt he is. We will talk about tomorrow first, says coach John Stromwall to SportExpressen.se.
The SSK is great concern that the injury could be more serious than first thought.
It is mighty bad timing for him, for the team and for us. He has played brilliant good here until he was injured, says Stromwall of Hagelin who scored five goals and six assists in eight games in the Hockey Allsvenskan.
He was the major study yesterday and I have not personally met with him about it yet. We meet in the morning. There I have no answer to give, says Stromwall.
Hagelin underwent an MRI on Friday and await the outcome of the SSK.
[The] Rangers have probably also something to say on this issue. They are also curious, says Stromwall.
So yeah, there you have it. Not exactly crystal clear but not mud, either.
UPDATE: SNY’s Rangers blog notes that Hagelin will be re-evaluated this week.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
The second overall pick in the 2014 draft has gone pointless in three preseason games.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)