Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It appears Carl Hagelin‘s shoulder could be in worse shape than the initial diagnosis suggested.
The New York Rangers forward, currently playing in Sweden’s Allsvenskan for Sodertalje (SSK), left a recent game with what was classified as a shoulder bruise, a minor injury with a recovery timeline of day-to-day.
As such, there was no cause for major concern when Hagelin removed himself from the Team Sweden lineup for the Karjala Cup. The four nation tournament began on Wednesday and runs through the European international break, which Hagelin was going to use for rest and rehab.
But now, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reports Sodertalje team officials are concerned of the injury’s severity.
(WARNING: Google translate ahead.)
[Hagelin] has now completed an extensive survey and SSK waiting anxiously for a reply.
We do not know how badly hurt he is. We will talk about tomorrow first, says coach John Stromwall to SportExpressen.se.
The SSK is great concern that the injury could be more serious than first thought.
It is mighty bad timing for him, for the team and for us. He has played brilliant good here until he was injured, says Stromwall of Hagelin who scored five goals and six assists in eight games in the Hockey Allsvenskan.
He was the major study yesterday and I have not personally met with him about it yet. We meet in the morning. There I have no answer to give, says Stromwall.
Hagelin underwent an MRI on Friday and await the outcome of the SSK.
[The] Rangers have probably also something to say on this issue. They are also curious, says Stromwall.
So yeah, there you have it. Not exactly crystal clear but not mud, either.
UPDATE: SNY’s Rangers blog notes that Hagelin will be re-evaluated this week.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)