Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It appears Carl Hagelin‘s shoulder could be in worse shape than the initial diagnosis suggested.
The New York Rangers forward, currently playing in Sweden’s Allsvenskan for Sodertalje (SSK), left a recent game with what was classified as a shoulder bruise, a minor injury with a recovery timeline of day-to-day.
As such, there was no cause for major concern when Hagelin removed himself from the Team Sweden lineup for the Karjala Cup. The four nation tournament began on Wednesday and runs through the European international break, which Hagelin was going to use for rest and rehab.
But now, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reports Sodertalje team officials are concerned of the injury’s severity.
(WARNING: Google translate ahead.)
[Hagelin] has now completed an extensive survey and SSK waiting anxiously for a reply.
We do not know how badly hurt he is. We will talk about tomorrow first, says coach John Stromwall to SportExpressen.se.
The SSK is great concern that the injury could be more serious than first thought.
It is mighty bad timing for him, for the team and for us. He has played brilliant good here until he was injured, says Stromwall of Hagelin who scored five goals and six assists in eight games in the Hockey Allsvenskan.
He was the major study yesterday and I have not personally met with him about it yet. We meet in the morning. There I have no answer to give, says Stromwall.
Hagelin underwent an MRI on Friday and await the outcome of the SSK.
[The] Rangers have probably also something to say on this issue. They are also curious, says Stromwall.
So yeah, there you have it. Not exactly crystal clear but not mud, either.
UPDATE: SNY’s Rangers blog notes that Hagelin will be re-evaluated this week.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)