Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It appears Carl Hagelin‘s shoulder could be in worse shape than the initial diagnosis suggested.
The New York Rangers forward, currently playing in Sweden’s Allsvenskan for Sodertalje (SSK), left a recent game with what was classified as a shoulder bruise, a minor injury with a recovery timeline of day-to-day.
As such, there was no cause for major concern when Hagelin removed himself from the Team Sweden lineup for the Karjala Cup. The four nation tournament began on Wednesday and runs through the European international break, which Hagelin was going to use for rest and rehab.
But now, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reports Sodertalje team officials are concerned of the injury’s severity.
(WARNING: Google translate ahead.)
[Hagelin] has now completed an extensive survey and SSK waiting anxiously for a reply.
We do not know how badly hurt he is. We will talk about tomorrow first, says coach John Stromwall to SportExpressen.se.
The SSK is great concern that the injury could be more serious than first thought.
It is mighty bad timing for him, for the team and for us. He has played brilliant good here until he was injured, says Stromwall of Hagelin who scored five goals and six assists in eight games in the Hockey Allsvenskan.
He was the major study yesterday and I have not personally met with him about it yet. We meet in the morning. There I have no answer to give, says Stromwall.
Hagelin underwent an MRI on Friday and await the outcome of the SSK.
[The] Rangers have probably also something to say on this issue. They are also curious, says Stromwall.
So yeah, there you have it. Not exactly crystal clear but not mud, either.
UPDATE: SNY’s Rangers blog notes that Hagelin will be re-evaluated this week.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)