Nov 7, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It appears Carl Hagelin‘s shoulder could be in worse shape than the initial diagnosis suggested.
The New York Rangers forward, currently playing in Sweden’s Allsvenskan for Sodertalje (SSK), left a recent game with what was classified as a shoulder bruise, a minor injury with a recovery timeline of day-to-day.
As such, there was no cause for major concern when Hagelin removed himself from the Team Sweden lineup for the Karjala Cup. The four nation tournament began on Wednesday and runs through the European international break, which Hagelin was going to use for rest and rehab.
But now, Mattias Ek of Swedish news outlet Expressen reports Sodertalje team officials are concerned of the injury’s severity.
(WARNING: Google translate ahead.)
[Hagelin] has now completed an extensive survey and SSK waiting anxiously for a reply.
We do not know how badly hurt he is. We will talk about tomorrow first, says coach John Stromwall to SportExpressen.se.
The SSK is great concern that the injury could be more serious than first thought.
It is mighty bad timing for him, for the team and for us. He has played brilliant good here until he was injured, says Stromwall of Hagelin who scored five goals and six assists in eight games in the Hockey Allsvenskan.
He was the major study yesterday and I have not personally met with him about it yet. We meet in the morning. There I have no answer to give, says Stromwall.
Hagelin underwent an MRI on Friday and await the outcome of the SSK.
[The] Rangers have probably also something to say on this issue. They are also curious, says Stromwall.
So yeah, there you have it. Not exactly crystal clear but not mud, either.
UPDATE: SNY’s Rangers blog notes that Hagelin will be re-evaluated this week.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)