Nov 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Even with no hockey-related revenue coming in, Minnesota Wild investors will have to cough up $10 million by mid-November to fund team expenses.
According to the Pioneer Press, it will be the second $10 million cash call since the club signed free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, who just so happened to negotiate identical $10 million signing bonuses that are paid regardless of the lockout.
Wild ownership is comprised of majority owner Craig Leipold and 11 limited partners.
A few weeks ago, Suter accused NHL owners, including Leipold, of “trying to go back on their word” by attempting to cut the players’ share of revenue.
Suter quickly backed off his comments – “I thought a lot about since what I said, I don’t question Craig Leipold and Minnesota with regards to negotiating our contracts in good faith” – chalking them up to frustration.
Even with an immediate cut in players’ share of league revenues from 57 to 50 percent, Suter and Parise would lose relatively little to escrow (compared to, say, Alex Ovechkin) as they’re both set to earn just $2 million in actual salary for each of 2012-13 and 2013-14.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)