Nov 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Even with no hockey-related revenue coming in, Minnesota Wild investors will have to cough up $10 million by mid-November to fund team expenses.
According to the Pioneer Press, it will be the second $10 million cash call since the club signed free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, who just so happened to negotiate identical $10 million signing bonuses that are paid regardless of the lockout.
Wild ownership is comprised of majority owner Craig Leipold and 11 limited partners.
A few weeks ago, Suter accused NHL owners, including Leipold, of “trying to go back on their word” by attempting to cut the players’ share of revenue.
Suter quickly backed off his comments – “I thought a lot about since what I said, I don’t question Craig Leipold and Minnesota with regards to negotiating our contracts in good faith” – chalking them up to frustration.
Even with an immediate cut in players’ share of league revenues from 57 to 50 percent, Suter and Parise would lose relatively little to escrow (compared to, say, Alex Ovechkin) as they’re both set to earn just $2 million in actual salary for each of 2012-13 and 2013-14.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)