Nov 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
The Winter Classic, coming to a motor speedway soon?
In the eyes of Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin, maybe. Just maybe.
That’s what Martin told the Toronto Star on Monday after the Ontario Municipal Board cleared all appeals to the $400 million Canadian Motor Speedway development near the Peace Bridge — the bridge connecting Canada (Fort Erie) and the U.S. (Buffalo, NY.)
“I think a Leafs-Buffalo game there would be perfect,” Martin said. “We’re not sure the design of it would be perfect, with the oval and the road course there, but it would be a great event to have once this is up and running.”
The Star reports the Maple Leafs are targeting 2017 — the club’s centennial celebration year — to host one of the NHL’s “big three” events: The All-Star game, the entry draft or the annual outdoor game (which, thanks to the cancelation of the 2013 Winter Classic, isn’t technically an annual event anymore.)
The CMS — designed by NASCAR great Jeff Gordon — has yet to break ground, but measures 332 hectares and will feature a 2.5-mile road course and seating for 65,000. The current timeline for completion is 2014.
“We talked about that (Leafs-Sabres game) when the idea for this track first came up,” Martin said. “It’s a dream event, but I think it would be great to see Toronto and Buffalo here.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)