Nov 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
The Winter Classic, coming to a motor speedway soon?
In the eyes of Fort Erie Mayor Doug Martin, maybe. Just maybe.
That’s what Martin told the Toronto Star on Monday after the Ontario Municipal Board cleared all appeals to the $400 million Canadian Motor Speedway development near the Peace Bridge — the bridge connecting Canada (Fort Erie) and the U.S. (Buffalo, NY.)
“I think a Leafs-Buffalo game there would be perfect,” Martin said. “We’re not sure the design of it would be perfect, with the oval and the road course there, but it would be a great event to have once this is up and running.”
The Star reports the Maple Leafs are targeting 2017 — the club’s centennial celebration year — to host one of the NHL’s “big three” events: The All-Star game, the entry draft or the annual outdoor game (which, thanks to the cancelation of the 2013 Winter Classic, isn’t technically an annual event anymore.)
The CMS — designed by NASCAR great Jeff Gordon — has yet to break ground, but measures 332 hectares and will feature a 2.5-mile road course and seating for 65,000. The current timeline for completion is 2014.
“We talked about that (Leafs-Sabres game) when the idea for this track first came up,” Martin said. “It’s a dream event, but I think it would be great to see Toronto and Buffalo here.”
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Chicago’s goalie depth about to be tested.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
It really wasn’t.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Because he’s spent much of this season questioning his team.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
If he’s not available, the Bruins will need to call up a defenseman.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 21
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 24
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 24
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)