Nov 7, 2012, 12:33 PM EST
First the good news for Phoenix Coyotes fans:
Yesterday, a solid majority of Glendale residents voted to reject a ballot measure that would undo a city sales-tax hike.
The result was significant for the struggling NHL franchise as the proceeds from the tax hike were intended to fund part of the proposed arena management deal with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison. If the tax hike had been voted down, it might’ve killed the purchase.
So that was the good news. Here’s the bad:
Another roadblock to keeping the Coyotes in Glendale may have emerged with the election of new mayor Jerry Weiers.
Weiers is a Republican that stood against both the lease agreement and tax hike.
Yesterday, he sent a strong message to the Coyotes: “Glendale is not your cash register.”
In July, Weiers wrote a letter to Jamison requesting the former Sharks executive prove he has the resources to buy the team.
“The time for guessing is over,” wrote Weiers. “The time for truth is now. With respect Mr. Jamison, you either have the means and the resources to live up to your promises or you don’t. While I disagree with the lease agreement and the tax hikes, I think those who voted for those controversial measures deserve some straight answers. More importantly, I think the residents of Glendale deserve some straight answers. The sales tax hike is days away from going into effect to bankroll the lease agreement. You have an obligation to let the taxpayers know if you are able to live up to your end of the bargain and keep the Coyotes in our city. If not, you should step out of the way and allow our city to begin a search for an alternative.”
According to Five For Howling, Jamison will travel to Glendale this week in an attempt to finalize the lease agreement.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
He’d be a huge get for Team Sweden.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
His job might be safe despite the team’s struggles.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)