Nov 7, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
First the good news for Phoenix Coyotes fans:
Yesterday, a solid majority of Glendale residents voted to reject a ballot measure that would undo a city sales-tax hike.
The result was significant for the struggling NHL franchise as the proceeds from the tax hike were intended to fund part of the proposed arena management deal with prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison. If the tax hike had been voted down, it might’ve killed the purchase.
So that was the good news. Here’s the bad:
Another roadblock to keeping the Coyotes in Glendale may have emerged with the election of new mayor Jerry Weiers.
Weiers is a Republican that stood against both the lease agreement and tax hike.
Yesterday, he sent a strong message to the Coyotes: “Glendale is not your cash register.”
In July, Weiers wrote a letter to Jamison requesting the former Sharks executive prove he has the resources to buy the team.
“The time for guessing is over,” wrote Weiers. “The time for truth is now. With respect Mr. Jamison, you either have the means and the resources to live up to your promises or you don’t. While I disagree with the lease agreement and the tax hikes, I think those who voted for those controversial measures deserve some straight answers. More importantly, I think the residents of Glendale deserve some straight answers. The sales tax hike is days away from going into effect to bankroll the lease agreement. You have an obligation to let the taxpayers know if you are able to live up to your end of the bargain and keep the Coyotes in our city. If not, you should step out of the way and allow our city to begin a search for an alternative.”
According to Five For Howling, Jamison will travel to Glendale this week in an attempt to finalize the lease agreement.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)