Nov 7, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Keaton Ellerby is officially on notice.
The Florida Panthers defenseman — who’s failed to make good on the promise that saw him taken 10th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft — was called out by GM Dale Tallon in a recent interview with The Hockey Writers (via the Florida Sun Sentinel).
“Now it’s time for him to grab the bull by the horns,” Tallon explained. “He has the ability, he’s a great skater, he’s got a good shot. I challenged him at the exit meeting that he needs to get prepared this off-season and get stronger mentally and physically.”
Ellerby took a step backwards last season after what appeared to be a breakthrough 2010-11 campaign (54GP, 2G-10A-12PTS, 16:06 average TOI). The 24-year-old only appeared in 40 regular season contests, recorded just five points (no goals) and saw his ice time dip to 15:23 per game.
To make matters worse, a lower-body injury limited him to just one appearance in the Panthers’ opening round playoff loss to the Devils.
Ellerby also catches a lot of heat because of his draft position and the defensemen taken shortly afterward — the Rangers’ Ryan McDonagh went 12th overall and St. Louis’ Kevin Shattenkirk went 14th. Both are thriving on their respective clubs: McDonagh finished 11th in Norris voting last season, Shattenkirk 18th.
That said, brighter days could be ahead for Ellerby. He signed a one-year, $700,000 extension with the Panthers this summer and projects to be a top-six blueliner this season.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)