Fehr and NHLPA “look forward to resuming talks tomorrow”

Nov 7, 2012, 10:35 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr released a brief statement after he and the NHL met for five-and-a-half hours this evening.

“The NHLPA and the NHL met today to discuss many of the key issues. We look forward to resuming talks tomorrow.”

There’s not much to work with from that statement other than the union being eager to meet again on Thursday. This follows suit with how the latest round of talks have gone without much information about what either side is looking to get from each other.

Read into that what you will, but it appears the PR jockeying is over for the time being.

1. sharksfan97 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I think they’re going to settle this thing by Sunday. And, an interesting side note, the comments on the hockey related stories are virtually non-existent. The NHL has to be a least monitoring these comment boards to monitor fan interest and the last story here that showed some promise of a potential compromise had a total of 15 comments. The NFL comment sections get more action for “the punter has a blister on his big toe” story. The NHL might be dead as far as fan interest is concerned. And you know what, the league and the players deserve it.

• stakex - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM

The story the other day about the WC being canceled had 87 comments, and the story a couple days ago about the NHL making concessions on the “make whole” provision had 80. Both of those are a LOT for a hockey article even during a good year, so you’re theory is flat wrong.

The reason you are not seeing a ton of comments to stories like this is simple: While the two sides talking with eachother, and not about eachother, is news… its not big news, yet. Once(if) it becomes big news you will see the comment sections light up.

• rogersjd16 - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I wouldn’t say it’s “flat wrong”. He’s absolutely right about the level of contribution from fans of hockey vs football. Pretty obvious and common knowledge but still…This also happens to be a great, “informed and educated” site that doesn’t get the traffic of casual fans. Go to ESPN’s comments section for the NHL and there will be hundreds if not thousands. But so many of those are purely a gazing interest from other sports fans and certainly more casual hockey fans.

Either way, the lack of comments are also certainly a nod to not wanting to j-i-n-x

• jimw81 - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I hope they read the insightful comments when they cancel the winter classic.

• valoisvipers - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It hard for posters to post about a story about nothing. Sounds like a Seinfield show.

• nhalbfoster - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

do you realize there would be tons more comments related to hockey if nhl.com didn’t censor what you can comment on. Instead all of the major stories that anyone would really want to comment on wont let you

• tatdue - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m thinking that most of us here are just tired of talking about the same crap over and over….You will see plenty of fan interest when (if) they start playing again. I’m sure that the NHL has lost a lot of the casual fan base, and more importantly the revenue that goes with them…..Let’s just hope the losses are enough to inspire them to get this sh!t done already so we can all get our game back….

2. desertfan - Nov 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Please stall the settlement for a few more days so I can watch the Oilers farm vs Heat this week-end for $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. sharksfan1993 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Well personally, i think that the talks should have been long over with. I was reading an article and one player was talking about his frustration about this situation. He mentioned that the players knew since this summer that the lockout was going to happen and all they really wanted to do was play. Which i agree. I want to see my team on the ice and playing games.
    I been seeing a lot of posts talking about football and other sports but hardly anything about NHL. which is the sport i love to watch.
    But if you ask me when i believe the first game will take place? Well if the talks end well today and they find an agreement, I am wishing for some NHL games by this coming week.. but til then, we just have to sit and wait…

4. sharksfan97 - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey Stakex, I was thinking about seriously considering your response to my comment, and then responding, but then I considered the fact that you apparently don’t understand the difference between your and you’re. At that point I realized that you’re (see, proper usage here) a brainless twit and I therefore placed your comment in the irrelevant pile. I’m sure you’re (again, proper usage) used to having your (proper usage) work routinely placed in that pile at work (assuming you’re employed – granted a big assumption). Good luck in life you poor soul.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches