Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
One big question for any sport exiting a lockout is: who will be out of shape?
If the Vancouver Province’s Jason Botchford’s report is on-the-nose, the Canucks won’t be one of those teams.
“Our team, more than any other, is dedicated to fitness,” Kevin Bieksa said. “We always have been since I’ve been here. There’s been a huge emphasis. We have personnel in positions other teams don’t to make sure we have an advantage in nutrition, and health and fitness.”
Bieksa claims players like David Booth might work out too much.
Speaking of excessive gym attention, Daniel Sedin has an amusing take on Bieksa’s workout regime.
“He does a lot of bicep curls,” Sedin said. “For an hour, he’ll be on biceps.”
Despite the confidence regarding fitness, Sedin told Botchford the Canucks might be at a disadvantage because the team only has two players active in Europe and two more in the AHL.
Still, if the new CBA replaces shootouts with bicep curls, things could go quite swimmingly.
Click here for more on workout techniques, hunting aversions and other interesting bits.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)