Daly: “We do not intend to comment on negotiations”

Nov 7, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

BillDaly

The NHLPA didn’t have much to say about tonight’s CBA negotiations and NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly followed suit by not saying much themselves as Dan Rosen of NHL.com tweeted.

“The NHL’s negotiating committee met with representatives of the NHLPA for approximately 5-1/2 hours today. Meetings are scheduled to resume tomorrow. We do not intend to comment on the substance or subject matter of today’s negotiations.”

Fehr’s message indicated they were looking forward to tomorrow’s meeting but the NHL retained their poker face about negotiations. It feels right that neither side is divulging their feelings at this point, but whether that means things are going well behind closed doors is a matter of debate.

Related – Brooks: NHL not committed to contract term limits, open to amnesty buyouts

1. sharksfan97 - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hey Daly, Bettman, Fehr brothers and company: I may be reading this but it looks like nobody else give a you know what! I really hope the fans make the NHL and the Players pay big time for this mess! 3 work stoppages in less than 20 years is incredibly offensive!! Fans, stay away! Although I may be reading, and yes I do care about this mess, I am NOT going to a game this year and my Center Ice money went to NFL Sunday Ticket. I’ll be watching televised games this year occasionally, if that!!!

• sunderlanding - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Fine enjoy your football, and leave the hockey to the real fans. I prefer if people like you don’t watch hockey. I’ll be signing up for center ice the minute they strike a deal.

• ibieiniid - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Again, judging by thumbs-up/down… Bettman was right. NHL’s “greatest fans in the world” came flocking right back and forgot about all the bulls*%& that quick…. and we don’t even have a deal yet.

I’m glad the season may be close to starting too but I think we need to keep what we’re watching in perspective. We all just saw these guys acting like children over what’s in their pockets for several months.

• valoisvipers - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Since you’re a Sharks fan maybe not watching is a good idea.

2. websurferdude - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

NHL just die and go away. No body wants you anymore. The fans are tired of all your BS. Just go away and die in what could have been.

3. sharksfanatic - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The fact that neither side is talking publicly is a great sign. However, this could blow up real fast if saner minds don’t prevail. I predict a settlement by the weekend. Looks like the players are getting more than I thought they would. Owners are concerned about long term. Let’s play hockey!

4. id4joey - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM

you know who s looking good right now? no other than our friend blomfeld. he predicted the conflict would be resolved between nov 5 to 10, and we would have hockey by thanksgiving.

blomfeld, you’re looking good right now.

• mgp1219 - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:57 AM

joey

Either you’re a blomfeld rump swab or you are blomfeld. Which is it?

They haven’t agreed on the CBA yet, and given the way things have gone up to this point, I’ll be skeptical until the puck drops to start the first game of the season, which would be mid-December, earlest. I hope I’m wrong and they start the season well before what I am predicting, but I stand by what I said.

• blomfeld - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Joey – Thanks for your kind words, but the fact is that we’re “all” looking good right now and we’re “all” about to look even better !. Stand aside Discord and Mayhem … “Reason and Sanity” are here to save the day ! :)

5. id4joey - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

mgp1219, I am neither my friend. It is so blatantly obvious what is going down right now. What is it that you don’t see? Do you not comprehend that he actions of the ownership are part of a well defined and orchestrated psychological plan to break the player’s resolve? The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Is the NHL ownership willing to loose a full season? Why not? They’ve done it before. Do players want to loose one year’s salary? Why would they? Never have in my lifetime. And those who were affected by 04/05 said it wasn’t worth it and 240 players never played another game in the NHL post 04/05 lockout. So, no.

Canceling the 82 game season was the first power move demonstrated by the ownership. If that didn’t get the PA’s attention, then cancel the WC. How is that for a power move? Oh! But wait said the owners to GB. That’s a lot of money we could use if you can salvage the WC and get the deal that we want Ok said GB. Can we cancel the WC early enough to reinstate it if we have an agreement? Mr Ilitch, how would you like that? What is the latest drop dead date GB asked. Hmmm! Can you work with mid Nov?

6. id4joey - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM

mgp1219, why do you think they are meeting daily under the utmost secrecy and discretion? Ad this happened since the lockout was announced? Think! Friend! Think!

• islesjb - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Yeah I would have to agree. 13 hours of meetings in two days without all of the petty media BS is an extremely positive sign that both sides are finally working hard to get a deal done. At the same time, I do understand the reason for pessimism since it seems like in the past, they would give the fans a reason to be optimistic and then just pull the rug right out from under us.

I do however, think that this lockout is coming to an end and coming to an end soon.

• tatdue - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Listen Blonfeld/joey even if they made a deal today it would not prove that you were right about anything because like I said before many times the NHL and the players are feeling pressure from many places to solve this thing. If they came to a deal today it does nothing to prove your insane “operation fake lock out” theory that the NHL owners and everybody else involved (too many to name) did all of this just to move the start of the regular season from October to November….well, make that December now (unless you have to change it to January that is?)……

• blomfeld - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Tatdue – I don’t come here to PHT to prove that I’m right about anything … and neither do I come here caring what people may think of my opinions and views. Rather, I come here to PHT for the explicit purpose of “interacting” with fellow hockey fans and having some “fun” in the process … nothing more and nothing less.

Yes friends … Reason and Agreement are here to save the day !!!! :)

7. dlk75150 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

There is media bs because this whole thing is a sham.

• islesjb - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

so you think the NHL and the NHLPA are just hanging out in a board room in NY playing Monopoly? Interesting theory

8. id4joey - Nov 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

tatdue, tatdue, tatdue, if there was to be an agreement signed today, then it would men that some here accurately predicted when the settlement would occur. Case closed. Did you do as much? Or are you one of those who are jumping on the bandwagon now because the negotiations are heating up?

For the record, I did not aspire to the conspiracy theory.

Here is what I wrote to you a wile back; Oct 25 to be precise

tatdue, I never wrote that I like conspiracies, and I don’t believe in the assertions that the impasse is a conspiracy. Read my post. Only blomfeld can answer why he pounced on stakex.

BTW, I too have negatively jumped on bloofeld’s comments. Go back in older posts if you are so inclined. But, over time I came to understand his style. I think I can tell when he s yanking our chains and when he’s not. And yes, its always nice to get a response from blomfeld without thrash talk, but its also nice when he shares his humor. Makes for a good laugh.

• tatdue - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:26 AM