Nov 7, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA continue to meet in an undisclosed location in New York City, but Larry Brooks of the New York Post has details of what the NHL is willing to do to help get a deal done with the union.
In a series of tweets, Brooks’ sources tell him the league is not committed to contract term limits but is looking to put an end to front-loaded deals. Remember the NHL’s offer back in mid-October had a five-year limit on contracts.
Another huge thing that’s come up are amnesty buyouts. Brooks says those are back on the negotiating table and they were a key component of the CBA the two sides struck in 2005.
As for the “make whole” issue, Brooks says the NHL would assume the entire amount with a portion of it deferred but was unclear if that applied only to the first two years. The latter point of that could be a major sticking point in the process.
If the players’ union goes along with either plan, however, that would remove a major roadblock to getting a deal done. The league initially wanted the players to shoulder some of the load on the “make whole” provision.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)