Nov 7, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced a six-game suspension for Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw — currently playing for the Rockford IceHogs — after he left the bench to start an altercation during a Nov. 3 game against Lake Erie.
Here’s an account of the incident, from Todd Reicher of the Rock River Times:
At the end of the second period, with fans heading out to the concourse, a scrum broke out in the corner that led to some unexpected results. Lake Erie’s Patrick Bordeleau was shoving Dylan Olsen and continued pounding on Olsen as he curled up toward the ice.
From the bench and sailing through the air came Andrew Shaw to the rescue of his teammate. Shaw began pounding on Bordeleau as the referees and linesmen pulled the two apart.
Here’s the video:
Yep, that’s a six-gamer.
Shaw will miss Rockford’s contests on Friday (Nov. 9) at Grand Rapids, Saturday (Nov. 10) vs. Milwaukee, Nov. 14 vs. Peoria, Nov. 16 vs. Houston, Nov. 18 at Houston and Nov. 21 vs. Peoria.
A fifth-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Shaw came out of nowhere last season to become a key contributor for the ‘Hawks.
He posted 12G-11A-23PTS in 37 games — finishing 10th in rookie goalscoring — then left an indelible mark on the playoffs by bowling over Phoenix goalie Mike Smith during Chicago’s opening-round loss to the Coyotes, earning himself a three game suspension:
Shaw’s rise to prominence also gave birth to #Shawfacts, a Twitter meme that had the shelf life of your average Twitter meme (which I believe is around 12-24 hours.)
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (50)