Nov 7, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced a six-game suspension for Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw — currently playing for the Rockford IceHogs — after he left the bench to start an altercation during a Nov. 3 game against Lake Erie.
Here’s an account of the incident, from Todd Reicher of the Rock River Times:
At the end of the second period, with fans heading out to the concourse, a scrum broke out in the corner that led to some unexpected results. Lake Erie’s Patrick Bordeleau was shoving Dylan Olsen and continued pounding on Olsen as he curled up toward the ice.
From the bench and sailing through the air came Andrew Shaw to the rescue of his teammate. Shaw began pounding on Bordeleau as the referees and linesmen pulled the two apart.
Here’s the video:
Yep, that’s a six-gamer.
Shaw will miss Rockford’s contests on Friday (Nov. 9) at Grand Rapids, Saturday (Nov. 10) vs. Milwaukee, Nov. 14 vs. Peoria, Nov. 16 vs. Houston, Nov. 18 at Houston and Nov. 21 vs. Peoria.
A fifth-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Shaw came out of nowhere last season to become a key contributor for the ‘Hawks.
He posted 12G-11A-23PTS in 37 games — finishing 10th in rookie goalscoring — then left an indelible mark on the playoffs by bowling over Phoenix goalie Mike Smith during Chicago’s opening-round loss to the Coyotes, earning himself a three game suspension:
Shaw’s rise to prominence also gave birth to #Shawfacts, a Twitter meme that had the shelf life of your average Twitter meme (which I believe is around 12-24 hours.)
Jul 10, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
It was a big weakness for Dallas last season, but the additions of Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky should change that.
Jul 10, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Could this be a preview of things to come in the NHL?
Jul 10, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for July 23.
Jul 10, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The contracts the Leafs gave David Clarkson and Mike Komisarek are decent evidence of that.
Jul 10, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Thus avoiding arbitration.
Jul 10, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“He is a big, strong and physical defenseman who is one of the building blocks for our team.”
Jul 10, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
“I don’t want to turn this into a personal thing or get it to that point, because it’s not like that.”
Jul 10, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
But may get traded anyway.
Jul 10, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joins Mike Johnston’s staff in Pittsburgh.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Both good faceoff men.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
And he’ll get the chance to prove it next season with the Ducks.
Jul 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Wild, Isles center is off to EV Zug.
Jul 10, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’ll all make sense when you read what’s inside.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
Unlike what they did with Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Appeared in nine games for Boston last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Pictured: Dale Tallon.
Jul 9, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“We expect to have a decision by early next week.”
Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Fairly significant pay cut for the former Wild winger.
Jul 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
One-year, two-way deal for the ex-Jets goalie.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
NHLPA released the dates today.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 9
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 12
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 28
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 56
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (60)