Nov 7, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced a six-game suspension for Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw — currently playing for the Rockford IceHogs — after he left the bench to start an altercation during a Nov. 3 game against Lake Erie.
Here’s an account of the incident, from Todd Reicher of the Rock River Times:
At the end of the second period, with fans heading out to the concourse, a scrum broke out in the corner that led to some unexpected results. Lake Erie’s Patrick Bordeleau was shoving Dylan Olsen and continued pounding on Olsen as he curled up toward the ice.
From the bench and sailing through the air came Andrew Shaw to the rescue of his teammate. Shaw began pounding on Bordeleau as the referees and linesmen pulled the two apart.
Here’s the video:
Yep, that’s a six-gamer.
Shaw will miss Rockford’s contests on Friday (Nov. 9) at Grand Rapids, Saturday (Nov. 10) vs. Milwaukee, Nov. 14 vs. Peoria, Nov. 16 vs. Houston, Nov. 18 at Houston and Nov. 21 vs. Peoria.
A fifth-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Shaw came out of nowhere last season to become a key contributor for the ‘Hawks.
He posted 12G-11A-23PTS in 37 games — finishing 10th in rookie goalscoring — then left an indelible mark on the playoffs by bowling over Phoenix goalie Mike Smith during Chicago’s opening-round loss to the Coyotes, earning himself a three game suspension:
Shaw’s rise to prominence also gave birth to #Shawfacts, a Twitter meme that had the shelf life of your average Twitter meme (which I believe is around 12-24 hours.)
Dec 20, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
His game misconduct hasn’t been rescinded, though.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
They’re marketing it as “Back in Black.”
Dec 20, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Reports indicate there was knee-to-knee contact with Mark Fistric.
Dec 20, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
The Bruins forward’s argument lasted five hours, per TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Predators insist there haven’t been setbacks, though.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
“It’s just going to take time,” said general manager Don Maloney.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
“The replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
“I think last night’s game is going to stick with me for a while,” coach Todd Richards said.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The play of 19-year-old Olli Maatta has helped the Penguins keep rolling.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
“We didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” said a Denver DA spokesperson.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Also, Dan Girardi’s acting skills.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
Leafs haven’t done well since the start of 24/7.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Should be in Saturday to face Toronto.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk scored on Mike Smith… we think.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He went two years between NHL contests.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes it’s likely.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman returned to practice on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Will take on the Devils in Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit.”
Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Acquired from Edmonton yesterday.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 28
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 67
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)