Wild share “relatively good news” for prospect Granlund

Nov 6, 2012, 7:42 PM EST

Mikael Granlund Getty Images

The Minnesota Wild organization held its collective breath over the weekend when it appeared that top prospects Mikael Granlund and Jonas Brodin suffered serious injuries in the same Nov. 2 game.

The latest update is basically a good news/bad news situation.

Wild GM Chuck Fletcher shared the “relatively good news” about Granlund to the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo: he has a lateral right ankle sprain that will sideline him between two weeks and a month.

(Again, that’s not great news, but Russo points out that a high-ankle sprain would be much worse.)

Russo also passed along Fletcher’s a far-less-positive update on Brodin: a broken clavicle will force him to miss at least eight weeks, with doctors still determining a “course of treatment” that may involve one of two options:

Doctors will either a) allow the bone to heal or b) surgically insert a plate.

Those are not exactly the most appealing choices, but at least Granlund seems primed for a reasonably quick comeback.

1. lordfletcher - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

ugh

go Wild

2. greatminnesotasportsmind - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

It would be a bigger deal if you know the NHL actually existed in fans eyes

3. jessejames182 - Nov 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Stupid barons. For you lucky NHL towns let me put an AHL town perspective on this, they got injured in a game against Oklahoma city, the oilers farm league, at the rate they acquire first round picks they’re not a great NHL team however when all those picks flood the AHL they become very annoying to everyone else. And now my Houston aeros got injured because Hall is having fun being a big fish in a small pond.

• lordfletcher - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Players will play their game no matter the level. AHL is still pro hockey but Hall should be smart enough to dial back the tone in how he plays seeing as he has a history of being injured in the NHL and making yourself a potentially marked man by a rival team, isn’t smart. I can think of a few Wild players who will take liberty in making a run at Hall to remind him of what he did and no doubt in my mind did Hall think this would happen, but it did. I read an article in THN last month that was with Eberle (I believe) in which he thought too many AHL’ers were taking runs at the NHL guys, well maybe Hall should have listened. It’s hard to want it both ways but accidents happen and since I wasn’t there, it’s dumb to point fingers but I am a Wild fan (Granlund fan) so I will :) HA!

Hall likely did nothing wrong but should be smart enough to not make a run in the AHL at another teams prized prospect.

4. alldayvikes - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I’m a wild fan, but you do realize that Granlund is also a top prospect, and pretty was much penciled in as our 2nd line center when/if the season starts. Brodin is also a highly regarded prospect. So Hall isn’t neccessarily picking on him. It was an unfortunate incident and I’m sure the Wild won’t forget about it when we play the Oilers this year. But those players are playing just like the rest of the NHL players are in other leagues. they are just trying to stay game ready.

• lordfletcher - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I understand this and so does most of the world. Maybe my comment came off as confusing, I don’t know…

Granlund is our #2 center and Brodin most likely will or would have got his shot or at least once a few injuries took place on the blueline as a top 4 pairing.

All I was saying is… I understand Hall did nothing wrong (or most likely, I haven’t seen any video on the hit), and was just playing his game… but if he took a run at Granlund he should know better to in the AHL. No need… Was this the play that was considered a game penalty but then later was taken back? I forget.

• alldayvikes - Nov 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My comment was referencing the post by JesseJames182, sorry for the confusion. I totally agree with your post, but I do think you are right and that is the hit that Hall was charged the game misconduct for.

5. sharksfan97 - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I’ve got “relatively bad news for Granlund,” the owner of his club Craig Leipold likes to sign players to contracts, then tries to weasel his way out of his end of the bargain. Just ask Parise and Suter.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches