Nov 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick is on his way to New Hampshire.
That’s what Kings GM Dean Lombardi confirmed to the LA Times on Tuesday, saying the playoff MVP and Vezina nominee will be assigned to AHL Manchester this week as part of his recovery from offseason back surgery.
Here’s more, from the Times’ Helene Elliott:
Lombardi said he’s not sure whether Quick’s rehabilitation stint there [Manchester] will be limited to a specific number of games.
Although transactions are, in general, forbidden during the lockout this move is permitted because Quick’s injury and surgery were hockey-related and occurred before the NHL imposed the lockout on Sept. 15.
Elliott later clarified via Twitter that Quick will be in Manchester solely to rehab and work out. He won’t be participating in any AHL contests.
The news is still noteworthy given 1) Quick is coming back from injury and 2) He signed a massive 10-year, $60 million contract extension before going under the knife.
Quick underwent a procedure in August to deal with an inflammatory cyst and disc fragment. Assistant GM Ron Hextall said the 26-year-old would be ready to return to the ice “sometime around training camp” — which was supposed to begin on Sept. 21 — a camp that was cancelled due to the work stoppage.
In mid-October, Lombardi told the LA Times that “everything is on schedule” for Quick’s recovery.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)