Nov 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Jonathan Quick is on his way to New Hampshire.
That’s what Kings GM Dean Lombardi confirmed to the LA Times on Tuesday, saying the playoff MVP and Vezina nominee will be assigned to AHL Manchester this week as part of his recovery from offseason back surgery.
Here’s more, from the Times’ Helene Elliott:
Lombardi said he’s not sure whether Quick’s rehabilitation stint there [Manchester] will be limited to a specific number of games.
Although transactions are, in general, forbidden during the lockout this move is permitted because Quick’s injury and surgery were hockey-related and occurred before the NHL imposed the lockout on Sept. 15.
Elliott later clarified via Twitter that Quick will be in Manchester solely to rehab and work out. He won’t be participating in any AHL contests.
The news is still noteworthy given 1) Quick is coming back from injury and 2) He signed a massive 10-year, $60 million contract extension before going under the knife.
Quick underwent a procedure in August to deal with an inflammatory cyst and disc fragment. Assistant GM Ron Hextall said the 26-year-old would be ready to return to the ice “sometime around training camp” — which was supposed to begin on Sept. 21 — a camp that was cancelled due to the work stoppage.
In mid-October, Lombardi told the LA Times that “everything is on schedule” for Quick’s recovery.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)