Nov 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick is on his way to New Hampshire.
That’s what Kings GM Dean Lombardi confirmed to the LA Times on Tuesday, saying the playoff MVP and Vezina nominee will be assigned to AHL Manchester this week as part of his recovery from offseason back surgery.
Here’s more, from the Times’ Helene Elliott:
Lombardi said he’s not sure whether Quick’s rehabilitation stint there [Manchester] will be limited to a specific number of games.
Although transactions are, in general, forbidden during the lockout this move is permitted because Quick’s injury and surgery were hockey-related and occurred before the NHL imposed the lockout on Sept. 15.
Elliott later clarified via Twitter that Quick will be in Manchester solely to rehab and work out. He won’t be participating in any AHL contests.
The news is still noteworthy given 1) Quick is coming back from injury and 2) He signed a massive 10-year, $60 million contract extension before going under the knife.
Quick underwent a procedure in August to deal with an inflammatory cyst and disc fragment. Assistant GM Ron Hextall said the 26-year-old would be ready to return to the ice “sometime around training camp” — which was supposed to begin on Sept. 21 — a camp that was cancelled due to the work stoppage.
In mid-October, Lombardi told the LA Times that “everything is on schedule” for Quick’s recovery.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)