Nov 6, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that they’ll hold a Nov. 12 fundraiser to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Islanders GM Garth Snow said that he hopes the event provides assistance – and a diversion.
“Hurricane Sandy devastated our local community and we want to do everything we can to help,” Snow said. “This event will offer families in our community the chance to take a break from their recovery efforts and enjoy themselves.”
The event (titled “Hockey with a Heart”) includes a free, open skate for the general public at Nassau Coliseum. It will take place from 2 pm to 8 pm ET. The team notes that donations aren’t mandatory for attendance, but are “highly recommended.”
Here’s some more info via the Islanders:
Join employees from the New York Islanders, arena management company SMG and Coliseum concessionaire SAVOR in contributing to this worthy cause. Proceeds generated from personal donations and concessions, as well as any clothing donated, will go directly to the American Red Cross’ Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts. Island Harvest will collect all non-perishable food and beverage items to distribute to Long Islanders affected by Hurricane Sandy. Items most needed include water, diapers, blankets, baby formula and canned food.
This isn’t the only example of the organization chipping in after the natural disaster. Their AHL affiliate in Bridgeport offered free tickets to fans the weekend following Hurricane Sandy, so the Islanders have made it a point to help out.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)