Nov 6, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that they’ll hold a Nov. 12 fundraiser to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Islanders GM Garth Snow said that he hopes the event provides assistance – and a diversion.
“Hurricane Sandy devastated our local community and we want to do everything we can to help,” Snow said. “This event will offer families in our community the chance to take a break from their recovery efforts and enjoy themselves.”
The event (titled “Hockey with a Heart”) includes a free, open skate for the general public at Nassau Coliseum. It will take place from 2 pm to 8 pm ET. The team notes that donations aren’t mandatory for attendance, but are “highly recommended.”
Here’s some more info via the Islanders:
Join employees from the New York Islanders, arena management company SMG and Coliseum concessionaire SAVOR in contributing to this worthy cause. Proceeds generated from personal donations and concessions, as well as any clothing donated, will go directly to the American Red Cross’ Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts. Island Harvest will collect all non-perishable food and beverage items to distribute to Long Islanders affected by Hurricane Sandy. Items most needed include water, diapers, blankets, baby formula and canned food.
This isn’t the only example of the organization chipping in after the natural disaster. Their AHL affiliate in Bridgeport offered free tickets to fans the weekend following Hurricane Sandy, so the Islanders have made it a point to help out.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)