Nov 6, 2012, 1:40 PM EST
Anticipating the NHL season could start soon, Oilers defenseman Theo Peckham has signed with the ECHL’s San Francisco Bulls.
“I might be losing money down there having to pay my insurance, but I want to make sure [to get some playing time] if the NHL starts up,” Peckham told the Edmonton Journal. “This is a huge year for me, and I want to make sure I’m ready to go when [the NHL] starts again.”
The 24-year-old rearguard has much to prove after signing a one-year, $1.075 million extension with the Oilers in July.
He’s coming off an injury-filled season that saw him appear in just 54 games — Peckham was plagued by concussion issues throughout the second half of the season, playing in just nine contests after the All-Star break.
It was an unfortunate turn after posting career numbers in 2010-11, when he appeared in a career-high 71 games and recorded 3G-10A-13PTS, decent offensive production from a guy that fought 10 times and racked up nearly 200 penalty minutes.
With San Fran, Peckham joins a shortlist of NHLers plying their trade in the East Coast league.
Peckham sounded excited about the opportunity to get in some game action — and shake off some rust.
“It’ll give me time to work on a different side of my game,” he said. “Like moving the puck a lot faster. I’m still trying to find it.”
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 0
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 61
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (168)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (64)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)