Edmonton’s Peckham joins ECHL San Francisco: “I want to make sure I’m ready to go”

Nov 6, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT

Comments Off
Theo Peckham

Anticipating the NHL season could start soon, Oilers defenseman Theo Peckham has signed with the ECHL’s San Francisco Bulls.

“I might be losing money down there having to pay my insurance, but I want to make sure [to get some playing time] if the NHL starts up,” Peckham told the Edmonton Journal. “This is a huge year for me, and I want to make sure I’m ready to go when [the NHL] starts again.”

The 24-year-old rearguard has much to prove after signing a one-year, $1.075 million extension with the Oilers in July.

He’s coming off an injury-filled season that saw him appear in just 54 games — Peckham was plagued by concussion issues throughout the second half of the season, playing in just nine contests after the All-Star break.

It was an unfortunate turn after posting career numbers in 2010-11, when he appeared in a career-high 71 games and recorded 3G-10A-13PTS, decent offensive production from a guy that fought 10 times and racked up nearly 200 penalty minutes.

With San Fran, Peckham joins a shortlist of NHLers plying their trade in the East Coast league.

Brandon Dubinsky and Nate Thompson are with Alaska while Minnesota’s Devin Setoguchi skates for Ontario, as does veteran blueliner Paul Mara.

Peckham sounded excited about the opportunity to get in some game action — and shake off some rust.

“It’ll give me time to work on a different side of my game,” he said. “Like moving the puck a lot faster. I’m still trying to find it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Pondering Carolina’s outlook without Jordan Staal

Sep 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Jordan Staal AP

They weren’t expected to be favorites with him at full-strength.

2. Despite nerves, Leafs’ Nylander scores in preseason debut

Sep 23, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT

Wiliam Nylander AP

Tuesday presented him with a “what did I get myself into?” moment.

3. Video: Leafs’ Van Riemsdyk torments Flyers’ Mason

Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

James van Riemsdyk AP

Tough preseason contest for Philly’s No.1 goalie.

4. Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice

Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Latest update: He’s on crutches and it might not be knee-related.

5. Edler takes puck to face during Canucks’ exhibition

Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

This post will include updates if they’re made available.

6. Sabres’ Pysyk suffers upper-body injury

Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT

New York Islanders v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo holds him out for the rest of the game.

7. Video: Flyers’ Stortini isn’t shy about fighting

Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

He’s straightforward about it, at least.

8. Report: Blues, Schwartz making progress, still about $500K apart

Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.

9. Rebuild mode: Critics batter EA Sports’ NHL 15

Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT

creasecrash

The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.

10. Crosby, Getzlaf and Stamkos MVP favorites, says oddsmaker

Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby AP

And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.

11. IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated)

Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

BettmanFasel

Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.

12. Here’s how to watch the NHL’s new ’24/7′-ish series with EPIX

Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

First part of the two-part series starts in December.

13. Helm held out after breaking nose vs. Pens

Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

Darren Helm Getty Images

Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches