Nov 6, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT

Comments Off on Edmonton’s Peckham joins ECHL San Francisco: “I want to make sure I’m ready to go”
Theo Peckham

Anticipating the NHL season could start soon, Oilers defenseman Theo Peckham has signed with the ECHL’s San Francisco Bulls.

“I might be losing money down there having to pay my insurance, but I want to make sure [to get some playing time] if the NHL starts up,” Peckham told the Edmonton Journal. “This is a huge year for me, and I want to make sure I’m ready to go when [the NHL] starts again.”

The 24-year-old rearguard has much to prove after signing a one-year, $1.075 million extension with the Oilers in July.

He’s coming off an injury-filled season that saw him appear in just 54 games — Peckham was plagued by concussion issues throughout the second half of the season, playing in just nine contests after the All-Star break.

It was an unfortunate turn after posting career numbers in 2010-11, when he appeared in a career-high 71 games and recorded 3G-10A-13PTS, decent offensive production from a guy that fought 10 times and racked up nearly 200 penalty minutes.

With San Fran, Peckham joins a shortlist of NHLers plying their trade in the East Coast league.

Brandon Dubinsky and Nate Thompson are with Alaska while Minnesota’s Devin Setoguchi skates for Ontario, as does veteran blueliner Paul Mara.

Peckham sounded excited about the opportunity to get in some game action — and shake off some rust.

“It’ll give me time to work on a different side of my game,” he said. “Like moving the puck a lot faster. I’m still trying to find it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’

Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT

Milan Lucic AP

His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.

2. Success for McDavid isn’t purely a numbers game

Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Connor McDavid AP

The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.

3. Hitch finds silver lining in Berglund injury

Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Patrik Berglund Getty Images

Who will take advantage of the opening?

4. Neuvirth cites Voracek as his reason for joining Flyers

Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

New York Islanders v Washington Capitals - Game Five Getty Images

The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.

5. Hurricanes add Ray Whitney, three others to scouting staff

Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Jeff Daniels Getty Images

Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.

6. Poll: Will Seabrook re-sign?

Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.

7. Under Pressure: Stan Bowman

Aug 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Stan Bowman AP

Heck, the ‘Hawks are still over the salary cap ceiling.

8. Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane?

Aug 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Chicago’s star forward remains under police investigation.

9. Looking to make the leap: Artemi Panarin

Aug 31, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Artemi Panarin AP

Can his KHL success translate to North America?

10. Blackhawks ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT

Jonathan Toews Getty Images

Plenty of changes in the Windy City.

11. It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT

Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six

The defending Stanley Cup champs dealt away key pieces in the offseason.

12. Cooke: ‘I have fire in my belly, I still feel I can play’

Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Matt Cooke Matt Cooke

The 36-year-old is still looking for a contract after being bought out by the Wild.

13. Poll: Will Minnesota’s power play improve this season?

Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

The Wild ranked 27th overall last season with the man advantage.

14. Wild’s biggest question: Who will step up at center?

Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Mikael Granlund Mikael Granlund

Granlund scored just eight goals last season while playing between Pominville and Parise.

15. Looking to make the leap: Mike Reilly

Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional

He’s hoping to crack the Wild’s opening night roster after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

16. Under Pressure: Devan Dubnyk

Aug 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

150831-Devan-Dubnyk Getty Images

He’ll have to prove last season was not a fluke.

17. Report: Ballard, Leopold leaning towards retirement

Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Keith Ballard Keith Ballard

Both blue liners are unrestricted free agents.

18. Wild ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Zach Parise Getty Images

Can they take a step forward this season?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches