Nov 6, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Anticipating the NHL season could start soon, Oilers defenseman Theo Peckham has signed with the ECHL’s San Francisco Bulls.
“I might be losing money down there having to pay my insurance, but I want to make sure [to get some playing time] if the NHL starts up,” Peckham told the Edmonton Journal. “This is a huge year for me, and I want to make sure I’m ready to go when [the NHL] starts again.”
The 24-year-old rearguard has much to prove after signing a one-year, $1.075 million extension with the Oilers in July.
He’s coming off an injury-filled season that saw him appear in just 54 games — Peckham was plagued by concussion issues throughout the second half of the season, playing in just nine contests after the All-Star break.
It was an unfortunate turn after posting career numbers in 2010-11, when he appeared in a career-high 71 games and recorded 3G-10A-13PTS, decent offensive production from a guy that fought 10 times and racked up nearly 200 penalty minutes.
With San Fran, Peckham joins a shortlist of NHLers plying their trade in the East Coast league.
Peckham sounded excited about the opportunity to get in some game action — and shake off some rust.
“It’ll give me time to work on a different side of my game,” he said. “Like moving the puck a lot faster. I’m still trying to find it.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 29
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)