Nov 6, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
For the second consecutive day, NHL players have left their European clubs and returned to North America.
This development comes 24 hours after Buffalo sniper Thomas Vanek announced he’d be leaving another Austrian club, the Graz 99ers, and returning to North America.
Vanek’s contract with Graz had expired, though he noted part of his reason for not re-upping with the 99ers was the latest round of CBA talks, which he classified as “going forward a bit.”
It seems Enstrom and Clarkson were of a similar mindset, leaving Red Bull on the same day the NHL and NHLPA were set to resume collective bargaining negotiations.
This meeting is seemingly of particular interest to Clarkson, an participant in previous NHL-NHLPA sessions.
As for the departures, here’s a statement released by Salzburg via Facebook (WARNING: Rough translation ahead.)
The NHL player David Clarkson and Tobias Enstrom are departed from Salzburg. That has different personal reasons, has mainly but that do that in the NHL again movement in the talks between NHL and players has come and both of which assume that the game company soon resumes in North America.
David Clarkson is also one of the National Hockey League players’ Association (NHLPA) indicates who is involved in these discussions. The sudden departure is also for the Red Bulls very disappointing.
Enstrom inked with Red Bull on Oct. 22 — Clarkson Oct. 24 — and the pair skated in five games each before pulling the chute. Clarkson finished with 2G-1A-3PTS and 18 penalty minutes; Enstrom posted one goal and a minus-three rating.
UPDATE: Tom Gulitti spoke with David Clarkson via telephone and relays the following information via Twitter.
“He said he is still in Austria and hasn’t officially left the team yet. Clarkson said the report that he and Enstrom had a dispute with [Red Bull head coach Pierre] Page is false and he’s’ enjoyed playing for Page and Red Bull.
“Austrian Hockey League is on a break right now. Clarkson said he has a meeting with EC Red Bull tomorrow.”
Aug 1, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
He’s a free agent after next season,
Aug 1, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He had 17 points for Calgary last season.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
No real surprise, right?
Aug 1, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
His stats and Stanley Cup victories have us perplexed.
Aug 1, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
He’s gunning to make an impression on L.A.’s blue line corps.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Teemu forever and ever and ever.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
He’s win the Cup twice and has two Olympic gold medals, but he hasn’t captured the Norris Trophy yet.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Montreal and the defenseman can still negotiate until the ruling, but no talks are scheduled.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
They’re trying to re-sign both of them this summer.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
They averaged 3.38 goals per game in the postseason.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)