Nov 6, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
After posting three goals and five points in two games last week, Rockford’s Kyle Beach has been named the American Hockey League’s player of the week.
It’s a positive step forward for Beach, who hasn’t had many during his professional career.
At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, he was a highly-touted power forward heading into the 2008 NHL Entry Draft — projected by some to be a top-five pick — but concerns about on-ice discipline (and off-ice reputation) saw him fall to 11th overall, where he was snapped up by the ‘Hawks.
After spending time WHL Spokane and Rockford, Beach appeared to have a solid chance of making the bigs in each of the last two seasons, especially given the mass exodus of Blackhawks forwards.
Despite this, the 22-year-old Beach has yet to play in a single NHL contest.
Injuries have played a role — a shoulder ailment limited him to just 19 games last year — but now he appears on track to vie for a roster spot with the ‘Hawks, whenever the season gets underway.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)