Nov 6, 2012, 2:36 PM EST
After posting three goals and five points in two games last week, Rockford’s Kyle Beach has been named the American Hockey League’s player of the week.
It’s a positive step forward for Beach, who hasn’t had many during his professional career.
At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, he was a highly-touted power forward heading into the 2008 NHL Entry Draft — projected by some to be a top-five pick — but concerns about on-ice discipline (and off-ice reputation) saw him fall to 11th overall, where he was snapped up by the ‘Hawks.
After spending time WHL Spokane and Rockford, Beach appeared to have a solid chance of making the bigs in each of the last two seasons, especially given the mass exodus of Blackhawks forwards.
Despite this, the 22-year-old Beach has yet to play in a single NHL contest.
Injuries have played a role — a shoulder ailment limited him to just 19 games last year — but now he appears on track to vie for a roster spot with the ‘Hawks, whenever the season gets underway.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)