Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown told John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor that he probably could have made more money in Russia’s KHL, but his decision to play in the Swiss league revolved around family and familiarity.
The family factor was especially important to Brown.
“I can go play hockey anywhere. But, it really comes back to my family,” Brown said. “Where I’ll be staying, there’s an English pre-school that’s within walking distance. So, that was important and my main concern, having the option to bring my kids and family over.”
It doesn’t hurt that he’ll reunite with former Kings (and English-speaking) head coach Marc Crawford either, covering the familiarity angle.
“It will be fun,” Brown said. “It’s probably a different atmosphere over there and a different situation. But, again, that was a big part of my decision too – going over there and having an English speaking coach and a coach that I know. So, that will help me feel pretty comfortable getting right into practices and that sort of thing.”
Naturally, all this planning might be for naught if the NHL and NHLPA patch things up soon, but Brown indicated that his current run of practice sessions wasn’t getting the job done.
“That’s part of my decision to go overseas and play at a competitive level,” Brown said. “I could probably continue to do this and be prepared for the NHL season when it begins. But, as a competitor, you just want to play.”
One way or another, he’ll get that chance soon.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)