Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown told John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor that he probably could have made more money in Russia’s KHL, but his decision to play in the Swiss league revolved around family and familiarity.
The family factor was especially important to Brown.
“I can go play hockey anywhere. But, it really comes back to my family,” Brown said. “Where I’ll be staying, there’s an English pre-school that’s within walking distance. So, that was important and my main concern, having the option to bring my kids and family over.”
It doesn’t hurt that he’ll reunite with former Kings (and English-speaking) head coach Marc Crawford either, covering the familiarity angle.
“It will be fun,” Brown said. “It’s probably a different atmosphere over there and a different situation. But, again, that was a big part of my decision too – going over there and having an English speaking coach and a coach that I know. So, that will help me feel pretty comfortable getting right into practices and that sort of thing.”
Naturally, all this planning might be for naught if the NHL and NHLPA patch things up soon, but Brown indicated that his current run of practice sessions wasn’t getting the job done.
“That’s part of my decision to go overseas and play at a competitive level,” Brown said. “I could probably continue to do this and be prepared for the NHL season when it begins. But, as a competitor, you just want to play.”
One way or another, he’ll get that chance soon.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)