Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown told John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor that he probably could have made more money in Russia’s KHL, but his decision to play in the Swiss league revolved around family and familiarity.
The family factor was especially important to Brown.
“I can go play hockey anywhere. But, it really comes back to my family,” Brown said. “Where I’ll be staying, there’s an English pre-school that’s within walking distance. So, that was important and my main concern, having the option to bring my kids and family over.”
It doesn’t hurt that he’ll reunite with former Kings (and English-speaking) head coach Marc Crawford either, covering the familiarity angle.
“It will be fun,” Brown said. “It’s probably a different atmosphere over there and a different situation. But, again, that was a big part of my decision too – going over there and having an English speaking coach and a coach that I know. So, that will help me feel pretty comfortable getting right into practices and that sort of thing.”
Naturally, all this planning might be for naught if the NHL and NHLPA patch things up soon, but Brown indicated that his current run of practice sessions wasn’t getting the job done.
“That’s part of my decision to go overseas and play at a competitive level,” Brown said. “I could probably continue to do this and be prepared for the NHL season when it begins. But, as a competitor, you just want to play.”
One way or another, he’ll get that chance soon.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 5
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 13
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 10
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5