Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown told John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor that he probably could have made more money in Russia’s KHL, but his decision to play in the Swiss league revolved around family and familiarity.
The family factor was especially important to Brown.
“I can go play hockey anywhere. But, it really comes back to my family,” Brown said. “Where I’ll be staying, there’s an English pre-school that’s within walking distance. So, that was important and my main concern, having the option to bring my kids and family over.”
It doesn’t hurt that he’ll reunite with former Kings (and English-speaking) head coach Marc Crawford either, covering the familiarity angle.
“It will be fun,” Brown said. “It’s probably a different atmosphere over there and a different situation. But, again, that was a big part of my decision too – going over there and having an English speaking coach and a coach that I know. So, that will help me feel pretty comfortable getting right into practices and that sort of thing.”
Naturally, all this planning might be for naught if the NHL and NHLPA patch things up soon, but Brown indicated that his current run of practice sessions wasn’t getting the job done.
“That’s part of my decision to go overseas and play at a competitive level,” Brown said. “I could probably continue to do this and be prepared for the NHL season when it begins. But, as a competitor, you just want to play.”
One way or another, he’ll get that chance soon.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)