Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown told John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor that he probably could have made more money in Russia’s KHL, but his decision to play in the Swiss league revolved around family and familiarity.
The family factor was especially important to Brown.
“I can go play hockey anywhere. But, it really comes back to my family,” Brown said. “Where I’ll be staying, there’s an English pre-school that’s within walking distance. So, that was important and my main concern, having the option to bring my kids and family over.”
It doesn’t hurt that he’ll reunite with former Kings (and English-speaking) head coach Marc Crawford either, covering the familiarity angle.
“It will be fun,” Brown said. “It’s probably a different atmosphere over there and a different situation. But, again, that was a big part of my decision too – going over there and having an English speaking coach and a coach that I know. So, that will help me feel pretty comfortable getting right into practices and that sort of thing.”
Naturally, all this planning might be for naught if the NHL and NHLPA patch things up soon, but Brown indicated that his current run of practice sessions wasn’t getting the job done.
“That’s part of my decision to go overseas and play at a competitive level,” Brown said. “I could probably continue to do this and be prepared for the NHL season when it begins. But, as a competitor, you just want to play.”
One way or another, he’ll get that chance soon.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)