Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
There’s been a renewed sense of optimism about our chances of getting a 2012-13 NHL season since Saturday’s marathon negotiating session. The talks will resume today, but Biron, who is part of the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, isn’t getting overly excited just yet.
“I think every time there is a layoff where there’s no talks and then talks resume, there’s always optimism in the air,” Biron told ESPN. “Obviously, everybody is cautiously optimistic with some of the exchanges that Steve and Bill had, even though it was more brainstorming than anything concrete. But to be able to schedule some meetings and get larger groups involved again is going to be a good thing. Still, as with every case in the last little while when people got too optimistic, it’s just part of the process and we’ll see where it goes.”
One of the things that triggered the latest round of optimism was the NHL’s concession on the “Make Whole” provision, but Biron warned that “it’s still more of a concept right now, more than anything.”
On top of that, Biron said that Make Whole isn’t the only significant issue that remains.
“There are a lot of things like player contracting rights that are still there to be discussed and are still big items on the table,” Biron said.
So there’s still plenty of work that needs to be done. At the same time, there’s also time left to save the 2012-13 campaign if the NHL and union work together.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)