Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
There’s been a renewed sense of optimism about our chances of getting a 2012-13 NHL season since Saturday’s marathon negotiating session. The talks will resume today, but Biron, who is part of the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, isn’t getting overly excited just yet.
“I think every time there is a layoff where there’s no talks and then talks resume, there’s always optimism in the air,” Biron told ESPN. “Obviously, everybody is cautiously optimistic with some of the exchanges that Steve and Bill had, even though it was more brainstorming than anything concrete. But to be able to schedule some meetings and get larger groups involved again is going to be a good thing. Still, as with every case in the last little while when people got too optimistic, it’s just part of the process and we’ll see where it goes.”
One of the things that triggered the latest round of optimism was the NHL’s concession on the “Make Whole” provision, but Biron warned that “it’s still more of a concept right now, more than anything.”
On top of that, Biron said that Make Whole isn’t the only significant issue that remains.
“There are a lot of things like player contracting rights that are still there to be discussed and are still big items on the table,” Biron said.
So there’s still plenty of work that needs to be done. At the same time, there’s also time left to save the 2012-13 campaign if the NHL and union work together.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)