Bill Daly avoids revealing details from Tuesday talks

Nov 6, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT

Bill Daly AP

If you believe that an absence of spin following Tuesday’s CBA meetings is a good sign, then NHL exec Bill Daly’s statement (or non-statement) should sustain optimism.

Here are his brief comments regarding the seven-hour session, via Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record.

“Collective bargaining negotiations between the National Hockey League and representatives of the National Hockey League’s Players’ Association recessed tonight at 10:15 pm, with meetings scheduled to resume Wednesday,” Daly said. ” … the League will not characterize the substance or detail of the discussions until their conclusion.”

While the NHL went through the motions of making that non-statement, the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott reports that the NHLPA won’t bother. (Again, many believe that’s a good sign.)

Winnipeg Free Press columnist Gary Lawless backs up the positivity to a point, but cautions people not to get too carried away.

1. antkowiak666 - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

just get it done!!

2. id4joey - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Oh! They will get it done my friend. Fehr not the desire of the players to get a deal made and you can bet-man the ownership will give up only what they want the players to have. NHL hockey is a coming.

3. blomfeld - Nov 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

ACHTUNG MEINE FREUNDE !

1) Captain Brown will not be yodeling in the Alps !

2) Ovechkin will not being staying with the Novosibirsk Reactors !

3) President Obama will now have the chance to carry on healing the Nation !

4) Bettman’s charade is now going to come to it’s dramatic and riveting conclusion !

it’s like good times ! … the Kings rule man ! … surf’s up dude ! … hockey is a coming ! :)

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Until we read tomorrow night they are at an impasse and no new meetings have been scheduled.

• valoisvipers - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Blomfeld I think I need a double of that Koolaid you’re drinking. I wish I had your optimism.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Out of the four villains in this thing Daly is by far my least favourite.

5. id4joey - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Proskauer Rose is the law firm being consulted by the NHL throughout this impasse. Now, I could be wrong, but I’m betting this firm is very well aware of the NHL’s corporate partners, Bridgestone, HBO, NBC etc… No season will severely fracture the NHL’s relationships with these and other sponsors. I’ve posted before that such sponsors would pressure the league to make a deal so they can get their ads in and some ROI. So my money is on a deal being made very soon, and the reinstatement of the WC. I think more harm will be done to the sponsors than to the fans if the whole season is cancelled. I’m betting GB and the ownership are smart enough not to fracture their relationships with their corp partners. We fans (most fans) will remain loyal.

6. id4joey - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

OV or Crosby?

Cast your vote @ http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/06/crosby-makes-last-minute-decision-to-attend-nhl-nhlpa-meeting-in-new-york/

7. joeyashwi - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Please get it done! I’m already sick of NBA highlights.

8. dkphilly1122 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Just get it done. Like the guy up further said, I can’t stand seeing NBA highlights. Give us our hockey back already!!!!

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive