Nov 5, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks didn’t significantly shake up their roster following their fast exit from the 2012 NHL playoffs, but they did add Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson to serve as an associate coach.
Robinson comes with a history of playoff success that might rub off on the San Jose Sharks’ players. The only problem is that, until this lockout ends, he can’t do his job.
“For me, it’s very frustrating because I’m just starting with a new organization and I was happy and excited to start a new job, and all of a sudden there’s no job to go to, and it’s frustrating for me,” Robinson said in a Grantland.com report.
He does recognize that the lockout is giving him an opportunity to spend more time watching the prospects within the Sharks’ organization, so on a personal level, this lockout hasn’t been completely bad.
“But I also enjoy the integrity of the game,” Robinson said, “and what I don’t want to see happen with all this that’s going on, there’s a lot of people who rely on our business for their jobs, and we’ve got a sport that’s worked so hard to gain popularity. You look at L.A., and they finally, after all these years, get a chance to win a Cup and enjoy the fruits of all their hard labor, and there’s nothing there for them.”
If there’s a silver lining, it’s that the CBA talks seem to be heating up again and the 2012-13 campaign might still be salvaged. Of course, until the NHL and NHLPA actually agree on a new CBA, nothing is certain.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)