Nov 5, 2012, 9:42 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks didn’t significantly shake up their roster following their fast exit from the 2012 NHL playoffs, but they did add Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson to serve as an associate coach.
Robinson comes with a history of playoff success that might rub off on the San Jose Sharks’ players. The only problem is that, until this lockout ends, he can’t do his job.
“For me, it’s very frustrating because I’m just starting with a new organization and I was happy and excited to start a new job, and all of a sudden there’s no job to go to, and it’s frustrating for me,” Robinson said in a Grantland.com report.
He does recognize that the lockout is giving him an opportunity to spend more time watching the prospects within the Sharks’ organization, so on a personal level, this lockout hasn’t been completely bad.
“But I also enjoy the integrity of the game,” Robinson said, “and what I don’t want to see happen with all this that’s going on, there’s a lot of people who rely on our business for their jobs, and we’ve got a sport that’s worked so hard to gain popularity. You look at L.A., and they finally, after all these years, get a chance to win a Cup and enjoy the fruits of all their hard labor, and there’s nothing there for them.”
If there’s a silver lining, it’s that the CBA talks seem to be heating up again and the 2012-13 campaign might still be salvaged. Of course, until the NHL and NHLPA actually agree on a new CBA, nothing is certain.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)