Nov 5, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks didn’t significantly shake up their roster following their fast exit from the 2012 NHL playoffs, but they did add Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson to serve as an associate coach.
Robinson comes with a history of playoff success that might rub off on the San Jose Sharks’ players. The only problem is that, until this lockout ends, he can’t do his job.
“For me, it’s very frustrating because I’m just starting with a new organization and I was happy and excited to start a new job, and all of a sudden there’s no job to go to, and it’s frustrating for me,” Robinson said in a Grantland.com report.
He does recognize that the lockout is giving him an opportunity to spend more time watching the prospects within the Sharks’ organization, so on a personal level, this lockout hasn’t been completely bad.
“But I also enjoy the integrity of the game,” Robinson said, “and what I don’t want to see happen with all this that’s going on, there’s a lot of people who rely on our business for their jobs, and we’ve got a sport that’s worked so hard to gain popularity. You look at L.A., and they finally, after all these years, get a chance to win a Cup and enjoy the fruits of all their hard labor, and there’s nothing there for them.”
If there’s a silver lining, it’s that the CBA talks seem to be heating up again and the 2012-13 campaign might still be salvaged. Of course, until the NHL and NHLPA actually agree on a new CBA, nothing is certain.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL