Nov 5, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
With the Winter Classic now canceled, Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard says he’s going to miss the opportunity to appear on HBO’s 24/7.
But some of his teammates might be breathing a sigh of relief.
Howard told MLive.com that Detroit’s European contingent is less than thrilled when television cameras enter the dressing room.
“I was curious to see how guys were going to react with the cameras all around, considering how many Europeans we have,” Howard explained. “After games they’re sort of like water bugs, the way they just run out of the room.
“I was curious to see how all the guys would be reacting when there’s cameras everywhere.”
Of the 25 players on Detroit’s active roster, 48 percent are of European heritage:
Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden), Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Johan Franzen (Sweden), Jan Mursak (Slovenia), Gustav Nyqvist (Sweden), Jakub Kindl (Czech Republic), Mikael Samuelsson (Sweden), Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) and Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden).
As for who would’ve been HBO’s go-to for soundbites?
I’m suggesting defenseman Ian White, based largely on Gare Joyce’s book, Future Greats and Heartbreaks, A Year Undercover in the Secret World of NHL Scouts.
The book contains the following story from Brady Leavold, a teammate of White’s in WHL Swift Current:
“Ian White was the big player when I came here. He’d been drafted by the Leafs and he had gone to the world juniors. He was just going to do things his way.
“In training camp we were supposed to show up for fitness testing in the weight room at the rink, and we were all there in our gym stuff. [White] shows up in jeans and a cowboy hat. He didn’t even take it off when he had to do the bench [press]. He did one rep and put the bar back on the rack and said, ‘That’s all I feel like today.’
“He gave it to the rookies, too. I was scared [expletive]-less. On the bus, I was afraid to even look around my first season. I sat near the front — all the veterans were in the back — and one time when I turned around, White saw me and said, ‘What the [expletive] are you lookin’ at?
“After that I didn’t look back the rest of the season.”
Sounds like a real character!
May 23, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links
May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
They rank first and second in shorthanded goals in the 2013 playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
It initially made it look like he suffered an injury.
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Trent Whitfield has now been on the wrong end of history twice.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 15
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 48
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 86
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games