Nov 5, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
With the Winter Classic now canceled, Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard says he’s going to miss the opportunity to appear on HBO’s 24/7.
But some of his teammates might be breathing a sigh of relief.
Howard told MLive.com that Detroit’s European contingent is less than thrilled when television cameras enter the dressing room.
“I was curious to see how guys were going to react with the cameras all around, considering how many Europeans we have,” Howard explained. “After games they’re sort of like water bugs, the way they just run out of the room.
“I was curious to see how all the guys would be reacting when there’s cameras everywhere.”
Of the 25 players on Detroit’s active roster, 48 percent are of European heritage:
Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden), Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Johan Franzen (Sweden), Jan Mursak (Slovenia), Gustav Nyqvist (Sweden), Jakub Kindl (Czech Republic), Mikael Samuelsson (Sweden), Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) and Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden).
As for who would’ve been HBO’s go-to for soundbites?
I’m suggesting defenseman Ian White, based largely on Gare Joyce’s book, Future Greats and Heartbreaks, A Year Undercover in the Secret World of NHL Scouts.
The book contains the following story from Brady Leavold, a teammate of White’s in WHL Swift Current:
“Ian White was the big player when I came here. He’d been drafted by the Leafs and he had gone to the world juniors. He was just going to do things his way.
“In training camp we were supposed to show up for fitness testing in the weight room at the rink, and we were all there in our gym stuff. [White] shows up in jeans and a cowboy hat. He didn’t even take it off when he had to do the bench [press]. He did one rep and put the bar back on the rack and said, ‘That’s all I feel like today.’
“He gave it to the rookies, too. I was scared [expletive]-less. On the bus, I was afraid to even look around my first season. I sat near the front — all the veterans were in the back — and one time when I turned around, White saw me and said, ‘What the [expletive] are you lookin’ at?
“After that I didn’t look back the rest of the season.”
Sounds like a real character!
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
May 21, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Coaches be getting paid.
May 21, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Some have wondered if he could replace goal-less Bryan Bickell.
May 21, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
“We need to create a safe environment for the players.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)