Nov 5, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Dan Cleary has already lost an entire season to a lockout and back in September, he thought that the current work stoppage might end up costing him 2012-13 as well.
“I think people don’t think it can go a year,” he said at the time. “As players, we think it can. Maybe longer.”
At times that gloomy warning has looked potentially prophetic, but recently the tone has changed. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHLPA’s Steve Fehr had a marathon negotiating session on Saturday that they both felt covered a lot of ground. The meetings are expected to continue this week and the NHL plans to say very little publicly, which should be taken as a positive sign.
All that has made Cleary “cautiously optimistic” going forward, according to The Detroit News.
“Any time Steve (Fehr, players association executive assistant) and Bill (Daly, NHL deputy commissioner) are saying the same thing, it’s a positive thing,” Cleary said. “For sure there’s some optimism, there’s some light. There’s a ton of time to get a deal done.
“We said all along we’ve agreed to get to a 50-50 revenue split, which is important for them. Honoring contracts is pretty important for us.
“This is a good step. But I would hate to say this looks great and there is going to be a season. There’s too much at stake right now.”
Cleary thinks we’ve entered a critical stage and the next two weeks might save or signal the beginning of the end for the 2012-13 campaign. The pressure is on, but we might finally be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)