Nov 5, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma analyzed the Pittsburgh’s failed first round series against the Flyers, and Philadelphia’s subsequent defeat against the New Jersey Devils, according to a recent interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
He’s weighed the Penguins’ inability to kill penalties versus Philadelphia against their success over the last two years to try and determine if their struggles can be dismissed as two bad weeks or an indication of a larger issue that needs to be addressed.
“The hardest thing to do is draw the appropriate conclusions and move forward,” Bylsma said.
He later added, “But if you look at different aspects of penalty killing, you might ask, ‘What did the Rangers and Devils do in their series?’ You might run into some interesting things. I have.”
Bylsma doesn’t want to go into specifics about what revelations he had, but he will face some unique challenges implementing those changes if the 2012-13 campaign is saved. At this point, teams might not even get to play in any exhibition games before diving into a shortened season.
Fans might not get pumped up for preseason games, but for coaches like Bylsma, it’s an opportunity to get familiar with new players and vice versa. Training camp also helps a team develop a rhythm.
Every team will be in the same boat if the season is saved, but squads hoping to make adjustments to their established system and players joining new teams might have a particularly difficult time early on.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 54
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control