Nov 5, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma analyzed the Pittsburgh’s failed first round series against the Flyers, and Philadelphia’s subsequent defeat against the New Jersey Devils, according to a recent interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
He’s weighed the Penguins’ inability to kill penalties versus Philadelphia against their success over the last two years to try and determine if their struggles can be dismissed as two bad weeks or an indication of a larger issue that needs to be addressed.
“The hardest thing to do is draw the appropriate conclusions and move forward,” Bylsma said.
He later added, “But if you look at different aspects of penalty killing, you might ask, ‘What did the Rangers and Devils do in their series?’ You might run into some interesting things. I have.”
Bylsma doesn’t want to go into specifics about what revelations he had, but he will face some unique challenges implementing those changes if the 2012-13 campaign is saved. At this point, teams might not even get to play in any exhibition games before diving into a shortened season.
Fans might not get pumped up for preseason games, but for coaches like Bylsma, it’s an opportunity to get familiar with new players and vice versa. Training camp also helps a team develop a rhythm.
Every team will be in the same boat if the season is saved, but squads hoping to make adjustments to their established system and players joining new teams might have a particularly difficult time early on.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)