Nov 5, 2012, 8:34 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN Friday, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. ET as Cornell takes on Harvard.
There’s something very wrong with the Maine Black Bears.
Last season, they were an NCAA tournament team with a Hobey Baker finalist in forward Spencer Abbott. While Abbott is gone, fellow big scorer Joey Diamond is back again this season but coach Tim Whitehead’s team is very much in the dumper.
After getting dumped by No. 1 Boston College on Friday 4-2, Maine was shutout 4-0 by their hated rivals from New Hampshire dropping their record to an abysmal 1-8-0. Maine’s lone win? A 4-3 decision over Army in the Icebreaker Tournament — the same Army team who was beaten soundly by Penn State 5-0.
Maine’s problems might be too many to count right now. Junior goalie Dan Sullivan is off to a miserable start and backups junior Martin Ouellette (Columbus) and freshman Matt Morris have been worse. They’re 1/44 on the power play so far this season (2.3%) a rate that’s miserable at any level.
As for Diamond? The good news is he leads the team in scoring. The bad news? He has just one goal and three assists. If Maine doesn’t start fixing things soon, they could wind up missing the Hockey East playoffs, never mind the NCAAs.
Series of the weekend: Boston University and North Dakota faced off in Grand Forks and made it worthwhile splitting the weekend set. North Dakota took down the Terriers on Friday night 4-2 while BU turned it back around on the formerly Fighting Sioux by the same score on Saturday. Can we see more inter-conference stuff like this, please?
Upset of the weekend: Give it up to MSU-Mankato for taking down the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Saturday night scoring a 5-3 win over the No. 2 team in the country.
Zengerle out: Wisconsin will be without big scorer Mark Zengerle for five-to-six weeks with a broken finger. The Badgers have sputtered to start the season and this won’t help.
2014 Regionals: If you’re planning way ahead for the 2014 NCAA tournament, you’ll need to book a hotel in either St. Paul, Worcester, Bridgeport, Cincinnati to do it. Interesting seeing the NCAA go back to Cincy after having nightmarish issues there in 1996. Now the committee will hope Miami University can earn a spot to make it their home for the weekend.
May 25, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
It might be tough to gauge the right price for him.
May 25, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
That phrase is more fun than “turning the other cheek.”
May 25, 2013, 11:17 PM EDT
Just ask Bryan Bickell.
May 25, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Did Chicago just flip the switch?
May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
He’s clearly embracing the role of underdog.
May 25, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
He’s been the head coach of AHL Toronto since 2009.
May 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Detroit’s goalie made some especially challenging ones.
May 25, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
May 25, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
At least he’s still rich and handsome.
May 25, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
He also thinks the Rangers faced an identity crisis.
May 25, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
No other defenseman has four goals in first five playoff games.
May 25, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla’s name might come up.
May 25, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Torey Krug might eat for free in Boston.
May 25, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
He took a puck and maybe a stick to the kisser.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic