Nov 5, 2012, 8:34 AM EDT
We’re taking you “Back To Class” for our roundup of the weekend’s action in college hockey. Look for more college hockey on NBCSN Friday, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. ET as Cornell takes on Harvard.
There’s something very wrong with the Maine Black Bears.
Last season, they were an NCAA tournament team with a Hobey Baker finalist in forward Spencer Abbott. While Abbott is gone, fellow big scorer Joey Diamond is back again this season but coach Tim Whitehead’s team is very much in the dumper.
After getting dumped by No. 1 Boston College on Friday 4-2, Maine was shutout 4-0 by their hated rivals from New Hampshire dropping their record to an abysmal 1-8-0. Maine’s lone win? A 4-3 decision over Army in the Icebreaker Tournament — the same Army team who was beaten soundly by Penn State 5-0.
Maine’s problems might be too many to count right now. Junior goalie Dan Sullivan is off to a miserable start and backups junior Martin Ouellette (Columbus) and freshman Matt Morris have been worse. They’re 1/44 on the power play so far this season (2.3%) a rate that’s miserable at any level.
As for Diamond? The good news is he leads the team in scoring. The bad news? He has just one goal and three assists. If Maine doesn’t start fixing things soon, they could wind up missing the Hockey East playoffs, never mind the NCAAs.
Series of the weekend: Boston University and North Dakota faced off in Grand Forks and made it worthwhile splitting the weekend set. North Dakota took down the Terriers on Friday night 4-2 while BU turned it back around on the formerly Fighting Sioux by the same score on Saturday. Can we see more inter-conference stuff like this, please?
Upset of the weekend: Give it up to MSU-Mankato for taking down the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Saturday night scoring a 5-3 win over the No. 2 team in the country.
Zengerle out: Wisconsin will be without big scorer Mark Zengerle for five-to-six weeks with a broken finger. The Badgers have sputtered to start the season and this won’t help.
2014 Regionals: If you’re planning way ahead for the 2014 NCAA tournament, you’ll need to book a hotel in either St. Paul, Worcester, Bridgeport, Cincinnati to do it. Interesting seeing the NCAA go back to Cincy after having nightmarish issues there in 1996. Now the committee will hope Miami University can earn a spot to make it their home for the weekend.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)